Mspeck

How to print to a network printer from a 1769-L33ERM CompactLogix

10 posts in this topic

Good afternoon all,

I've been tasked to print out production run data to a network printer at the end of the machine cycle.

My PLC is a 1769-L33ERM CompactLogix.

Any easy way of doing this, along with some sample logic would also be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mspeck.

What sort of printer are you using? Unless it supports Ethernet/IP Protocol I believe this is very difficult to achieve.

A widely support printer that can support Ethermet/IP with a firmware upgrade is the Zebra company.

Regards

Daniel.

Thank You collinsd70 for responding,

My printer is an HP Laserjet P2035n  with ethernet IP

Hi Mspeck.

I have checked your printer manual but it does not mention the Ethernet/IP Protocol is supported.

You may have greater compatibility/ success using the Serial Port in ASCII Mode.

Depending on your requirements- you can also export data via an OPC Server and use a windows based application to handle your printing...

Regards

Daniel.

Edited by collinsd70

You'll have to use a scada/hmi solution.

Thank You again collinsd70,

As mentioned I am now in the beginning stages of this project, the printer mentioned does not need to be the printer I use, it just happens to be on the plant floor. I have some capital to purchase needed equipment, software etc.

You mentioned exporting data utilizing an OPC Server,

Years ago I had a very similar project where I had purchased OPCWare for Excel, however this software is no longer compatible with Microsoft Excel 2010 and possibly not with a CompactLogix processor. (I quit reviewing when I seen it wasn't compatible with Office 2010.)

Is there 'other' software available that you would recommend or have used in the past. Or maybe the question would be, how would you go about using an OPC Server as suggested ?

Hi Mspeck.

If you have RSLogix5000/Studio 5000 then you will have a licenced version of RSLinx Classic.

This can be used as your OPC Server..all you need to do it point your server to your data source (ie your PLC) then you just need to decide what you do with your data and how you store it. 

Its funny you mention Excel- as Rockwell do have a few example of importing/exporting tags via the RSLinx OPC Server. Have never tried it myself but seems very straight forward.

As an example- at every falling edge of a machine cycle, you could import your data tags from your PLC and populate to a database of excel sheet. Then you could print manually or automatically at the end of every shift.

How does that sound?

Regards

Daniel.

I created an OPC / DDE Topic within RSLinx Classic.

I then added the tag links of the data that I am wanting to print to the Excel Spreadsheet, I then wrote some script within Excel that if a certain cell equals 1 then Print the spreadsheet. Once the spreadsheet prints clear data, repopulate  with new data from the PLC and wait again for the cell to generate a 1.

It works very well, 

Thank You again for your help,

Hi Mspeck.

Nicely done, glad you found a suitable solution.

Regards

Daniel.