latakurekar

Universal Analog Input Card

7 posts in this topic

That usually means that the card can take multiple types of analog inputs.  For example, it could take +/- 10VDC, 0-10VDC, 0-20mA, 4-20mA, thermocouple (multiple styles) or RTD.  The card would usually have some hardware configuration (different terminals to select the type of input) and software configuration for scaling.

It is not just a marketing term, there is a true functional difference between a dedicated function analog input card (4-20mA only) and a universal input card.

An analog input card that takes a direct RTD or thermocouple input in addition to 0-10Vdc and 4-20mA has a lot of functionality that an analog input card that a 4-20mA-only card does not have.

Edited by DanW
fix grammar

There is usually something it doesn't do. It's a good practice to read the specs before you put it in the submittals.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:34 AM, NevergoldMel said:

It's a good practice to read the specs before you put it in the submittals.

That's best practice regardless of the module you're specifying.

Whenever I see brochures touting "Universal" anything I'm reminded of a cartoon I saw many years ago. It was a picture of an "Acme Universal Processor" featuring a two-position selector switch. The positions were labeled "Food" and "Word".