Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anthony0307

CompactLogix L35E

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I'm trying to communicate with an old CompactLogix L35E via Ethernet. I have already establish communication via DF1 Serial port and was able to go online but I Do not know the IP address to communicate via Ethernet. Can someone please tell me how I could determine the IP Address or create a new one ? This Controller was remove from a working machine. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony.

Hi Anthony.

There are 2 quick ways to do this.

1. Open you controller tree in RSLinx Classic and select your CPU/Ethernet Module- in the properties dialog it will display the current IP Address.

2. In your current project, go online with your controller and select your controller properties via the Controller Organizer- in the tab (I think its 'Internet Protocol') there will be the current IP Address with an option to change it then 'set'.

There is also the BOOTP utility but the above 2 should get you sorted.

Regards

Daniel.

Edited by collinsd70

Hi Daniel,

I opened the RSLinx Classic, selected the CPU/Ethernet Module and the the current IP Address is 10.10.50.131, and my Computer IP Address is 192.168.1.6, subnet 255.255.255. 0 but I still can't communicate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony

Hello Anthony.

Okay; you have 2 ways of changing this.

1. Using your DF1 connection; change the IP Address of your PLC to 192.168.1.x (x being anything except 6, so 1-254). ControlLogix dont need a power cycle after this but not 100% sure about CompactLogix integrated ethernet. If it pings OK then you obviously dont need to do this.

OR

2. Change your PC IP Address to 10.10.50.x (x can be any except 131, so 1-254). Once this is done, check your can ping OK. Next you need to create a new Ethernet Driver in RSLinx Classic then you should be able to navigate into your Controller Tree.

Regards

Daniel. 

Edited by collinsd70

If not using a switch/hub, you'll need an ethernet crossover cable also.

The L35e has  Auto-MDI/MDI-X ports that eliminate the need for crossover cables.

1 person likes this

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your help. I'm still having problems communicating with the controller via Ethernet. This is what I did; I opened RSLinx, configured DF1 driver and established communication via RS-232. From the Controller tree, I changed the IP address from 10.10.50.131 to 192.168.1.10, my computer address is 192.168.1.6. I deleted the DF1 driver and configured Ethernet devices driver, then I added the controller IP on the Host name but the RSLinx is giving me Unrecognized Device. I also used BOOTP-DHCP and ping the Controller IP with the same result. is there something I've been missing? I appreciate your help on this topic.

Regards,

Anthony

Hi Folks,

Can someone help me with this topic, please. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

Post a picture of you RSLinx Driver setup.

You should try using Ethernet devices and then type to station 0 - 192.168.1.10.

Or using the EtherNet/IP Driver, browse the local subnet.

The unrecognized device is more than likely the lack of the proper EDS file installed and registered.

Anthony.

After configuring your Ethernet Driver in RSLinx it should just be a case of expanding the tree down into your controller.

If your using a VM make sure you can ping from inside the VM instead of on the host.

Regards

Daniel

Hi Folks,

Here are the steps I'm using trying to communicate via Ethernet; As I explained before, this is an old CompactLogix 1769-35-L35E that was removed from a working machine. I'm able to communicate using the serial port but I have not success using ETH1-Ethernet. On the Controller, Tree I click on the Controller Ethernet card then properties and type in the IP I want to use, 192.168.1.10, my Computer IP is 192.168.1.6. Then I opened RSLinx , on the Host window I type again 192.168.1.10 but RSLinx is not recognizing this IP. Then I tried to Ping 192.168.1.10 but the destination Host is unreachable. Please look at the sequent below. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Anthony

Controller Tree.png

IP.png

RSLinx.png

RSLinx-2.png

RSLinx-3.png

RSlinx-4.png

Ping 192.168.1.10.png

Changing the IP address in the offline project won't work; you then have to download to the PLC. If you open the module properties dialog while online via the serial port, what address does it show?

I don't know if this particular PLC supports it or not, but you can often change the IP address from RSLinx: right-click on the PLC, select "Module Configuration" and go to the "Port Configuration" tab. If it will work, you will need to do this via the serial port driver in RSLinx, since that's the one that's communicating to the PLC. Unfortunately, I don't have an L35E handy to test (not sure we have any in the building, actually).

1 person likes this

I got it!!! Thanks to everybody. But I'm having problem going Online. I need to change the Path from DF1 to ETH-1 Protocol. Any idea how this is done?

Thanks,

Anthony!!!

Need to change the path from DF1 to ETH-1 Ethernet. Any idea. Please look at attached pictures.

ctx-1.png

rx-1.png

Now you have an Ethernet Driver configured....go to RSWho and select your CPU through the Ethernet Driver then press go online.

Regards

Daniel.

1 person likes this