5 posts in this topic

I am new to Automation Direct software and how the programs are written. Can anyone explain how they handle the analog outputs? My processor does not support the IBox that makes life easier, so I am having to do it the old hard way. I understand most of the logic of how its done for sending data to one channel but I don't understand how the channel selecting works. Can someone give me a programming example or explain how that works? I am looking at the online manual that Automation Direct provides for you for the analog module but I am having a difficult time trying to wrap my brain around how they do their analog stuff ><

It would be easier if you would specify which cpu and analog module. While the manual details the channel scanning you can probably ignore it. Most of the CPUs have the ability to use the parameters set up as shown in the 'special V memory locations' section. Once these are set up the system performs the channel scanning in  the background. The first location is set up to hold the operation details of the module. The second holds the address of the first of multiple V memory locations. You send a value to a specific channel by writing to the specific location. If you need more help please provide the cpu and module information.

Edited by b_carlton
1 person likes this

@b_carlton The CPU that I am using is Direct Logic 405. or 454 processor. the module that i have is F4-04DA-2. My rack looks like : INPUT, INPUT, INPUT, ANALOG INPUT, OUTPUT, OUTPUT, OUTPUT, INPUT. Then i have a remote rack that has nothing but 2 Analog Output cards. 

The manual has multiple examples. The first sequencing example (page 14-18) will probably be the best. Once it is written then you just have to send new analog values to the V registers reserved. The one channel example just permanently selects just the one channel. Just refer to the Y addresses assigned to each of the output modules. You will have two copies of the sequencing code, one for each module, each with it's own V storage addresses, C bits and the Y addresses.

1 person likes this

I know there are multiple methods of 'remote i/o' in the 405 line. Check if there are any limitations on types of modules in remote racks for the method you are using.

1 person likes this