Walks

How to use a serial to Ethernet converter to send data to RSlogix

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to understand the basics of using a serial to ethernet converter such as this Comtrol DM-EIP-2101, with Studio5000 code. Basically I have a weighing machine that only outputs data via RS-232 and I need to send that data to a PC that will process it through a Studio5000 program and have the data displayed on an HMI using FTview SE. Is it as simple as just connecting the serial and ethernet to the converter and it does all the work? Obviously checking ip addresses and firmware will need to be verified.

The main thing I am unsure of is the process of passing the individual data packets from the machine to the Logix code on the PC,  things like what the weight of the item was, was it over weight or under, etc....  Would there be an AOI or tags built into the software for a machine like this Checkweigher? I've worked with much smaller items like Cognex Dataman cameras and I know you can just use their AOI that allows you to simply call a tag if you want to display information like if a scanned barcode was correct or whatever.

If anyone has done something similar I'd appreciate any guidance. It can be difficult getting the information from the manufactures so I'm looking for answers anywhere I can.

EDIT: I guess I should also clarify that only using one or the other (serial or E/IP) is not an option. It will be a serial connection from the Weighing machine to the converter and then Ethernet to the PC.

Edited by Walks

Hi Walks.

Does your weighing scale support Ethernet/IP?

Normally with a 3rd part products- it is set up as a 'GENERIC ETHERNET MODULE' (or via an EDS sheet) and the data structure size set.

Then you would create a custom UDT or if the Manufacturer has supplied one; simply import and create the instance. 

I have worked with KEYENCE Products in this way and generally have worked very well.

Edited by collinsd70
1 person likes this

From my understanding and what I have been told by the supplier, the machine does not support Ethernet/IP. Hence the reason for me needing to use the Comtrol. Ethernet needs to be used because the PC will be placed far away from the machine and beyond the recommended range for serial communications.

The machine is capable of sending data to a PLC or PC, but the only direct connection available on the machine is serial.

Edited by Walks

The first thing you should do is get as much info as possible on the Comtrol unit. Comtrol has to provide you info on how to set up this unit. Based on my experience in the past, there may be software configuration that you have to do on the Comtrol before you can use it. Comtrol may have their own software that you can download and use to set up the unit.

In the past I've used a Moxa unit to convert from Modbus to Ethernet/IP and I had to download software from Moxa to set up the Moxa unit. The Moxa unit that I used had a detailed user manual that even gave examples of how to use their unit to communicate with an Allen-Bradley PLC. 

Comtrol looks like they've got a straightforward Web browser based configuration.    You tell it the name of tags you want it to transmit serial data into, and it does it based on the delimiter (like a CR/LF) or a timeout.

DeviceMaster isn't a product I have direct personal experience with, unfortunately.

@collinsd70 how do you create a UDT and a chain of structure text or protocol etc. for example serial it's easy you just open de port and shout "masdkkjdhfhjdfjsdfjdsf" and it goes out. Ethernet to what level does it goes into Rslogix?

@Walks the solution to your application might be with a product that a partner of mine found, it is from the brand RTA or Real Time Automation, Inc.  https://www.rtautomation.com/

We work in a project to integrate an scale weight sending serial data to AB PLC's.  in the same project we integrate (and this is off-topic) another cool product from the brand Mapple Systems to show Tags in a TV. 

first contribution after many reads, hope someone finds it useful. Regards.

@Walks were I solving your issue I'd do it something like follows:

1. Create a String Tag in Logix 5000 Code called WeighUnitResultString.

2. Use the Web Based Software that come with the Control Unit to configure the Serial Data Packet to be placed in WeighUnitResultString.

3.  Write my Logix 5000 Code to process the variable and return it to a null value.  

As an aside I might hook a serial cable from my laptop to the Weigh Unit and using Putty/Hyperterminal etc. see what the strings it issues as I weigh devices resembles.