Bendanator

Setting up Compact to work with Yaskawa VFD over Ethernet

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

To get straight to it, I have done simple programming with digital inputs and outputs but I have never programmed a PLC to VFD over Ethernet. I start to mess with it a bit and found out how to setup a Powerflex drive over the Ethernet, which was a lot easier then I thought it would be, but to make things more difficult they are wanting Allen Bradley PLC's with Yaskawa VDF's. I have no clue how to set this up over the Ethernet. Thanks again.

What AB PLC are you using and what Yaskawa drive?  Third party drives are actually pretty easy to setup on the logix platforms also - you just need to use a generic ethernet module.  All the settings in the module are in the Yaskawa Ethernet I/P manual if you are interfacing with a compact or controllogix.  You will have to get out the manual to discover the best way to start/stop and control speed as well as how to get feedback information.  Attached is an example of the Ethernet module setup for the A1000.  Pay careful attention to the comm format data time.  Choose the wrong one and you will have problems.   Not that I have ever done that....

Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 9.39.36 PM.png

Compact L43. Thanks a bunch for the information. I have run into one problem. When making the AOI It created the tags and logic for me under the AOI. How do I use those tags in my main Program Logic. Second do I need to stat it anywhere what size drive or does the logic not care? Thanks again.

Yeah I'm not sure about that.  We have a custom AOI where I am using this so it would not be the same.  If you are using a Yaskawa AOI, then it should be documented in one of their manuals.  It should not care about the size of your drive or any about your motor characteristics.  That is all stuff that is configured in the drive.  You just care about start, stop, speed, faults, etc.

Thanks, I did find the manuals and I'm at least able to make the drive run now so a be step forward.