aj2004

1756-OA16 I.FuseBlown bits

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm using an AC output module (OA16) and I noticed the FuseBlown input word (Local:13:I.FuseBlown) in my controller tags, which I've never noticed before, and I don't quite understand what the bits represent. I am familiar with the I.FuseBlown status word for a 1756-OB16E output module, for example. Each of the first 16 bits represents an electronic fuse for the corresponding output has "blown".

The user manual for digital I/O says that, for the OA16, each of the 2 groups of outputs (0-7 & 8-15) is fused internally. However, I can't figure out how the actual FuseBlown bits work for this module.

Does I.FuseBlown.0 = Group 0 (outputs 0-7), or Output 0?
If the Group 0 fuse blows, are the first 8 FuseBlown bits (0-7) set to 1s?
Or is FuseBlown.0 for Group 0, and FuseBlown.1 for Group 1?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum AJ.

What I am reading on page sixty of the 1756 manuals {https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1756-um058_-en-p.pdf} says that the Fuse Blown bits only apply to certain models and 1756-OA16 isn't one of them.

Please check it out for yourself.  I think this is a case of "one size fits all" I/O structure and not every feature is useful for every model.

Apologies for replying to an old post, but this was one of a few that showed up when trying to research the same question:

1756-OA16 has the FuseBlown word, but it is only available if Rack Optimization is not selected for the module.

Bob is correct in his response. For the blown fuse bits to actually work, the card must have that capability, which would be specified in the catalog number. If an output card has electronic fusing, the catalog number would end in an "E", such as 1756-OA16E. Otherwise, with or without the word of data in the profile, there is no physical means within the card to actuate that function.