futurecontrols

RSlogix 5000 service edition

8 posts in this topic

We just downloaded and are using RSlogix 5000 service edition on one of our lines. This is a software that allows you to see the PLC program, but not make changes. It is great for our Maintenance guys, but one of my managers is worried that they will change what IP they are looking at and end up setting someone else up for failure later on. Is there a way to lock RSlogix on a PC to a specific PLC IP so there is no chance of them looking at Machine A's programming from machine B?

Someone may correct me but i dont think this is possible, i can see why you are asking this but this may cause you more problems in the future if you wan to connect to a different controller, could you provide a list of the IP addresses for each controller for the maintenance staff and give training on how to make sure they have set the right path and how to use the software? if they cant make any changes then i dont see how this can cause any problems.

Well my maint managers issue with that is our maintenance department does not have much experience going into PLC programs. With the service edition on each machines PC we can have them set up to pull straight to that path, but if someone changes it to look at machine A while at machine B because they don't have time to walk all the way there. We run into the risk of it being left up on machine B's HMI looking at Machine A's PLC program and our maint guys may not realize they are looking at the wrong machine. I have suggested training with the software, but unfortunately I am encountering a lot of resistance.

ah ok so maybe you could restrict the IP addresses on windows?

Are the machines all on the same subnet? If so, do they need to be? If you can change subnets, you can then lock down the IP address configuration of the PC so it can only see that machine.

If the machines are (and have to be) on the same subnet, a subnetting expert may be able to work some magic with the subnet mask to block access, even if the machines are on the same subnet but I'm not that expert.

Edited by Joe E.

maybe someone who knows more about RSLinx could tell us if there is some security options would could restrict access.

I found the solution finally. RSLinx is the software we use to communicate from studio 5000(RS Logix5000) in the PC to the automation hardware. We use Ethernet to communicate. So in Linx we have 2 options. Ethernet/IP which looks for all available on the network or Ethernet which you set an IP address for so it will only see the one you manually hardcode in the address for.

Thank you all for the help. I got this from another integrator I work with. Just wanted to pass on the fix.

1 person likes this

There are differing options for each and every processor platform type as well as version of software.  The solution above is not "locked down".  Someone could still select a different ethernet drive and point to another processor.  The basic need is for training of the personnel.  Within RSLinx, make sure you name the individual ethernet driver as either the machine name or ID.  We as an integrator, use project numbers AAANNN with AAA is a three letter acronym for the customer and NNN is the specific project.   An RSLinx Drive name is limited to 15 characters, so we also add characters concerning plant location to help differentiate.

Looking further into CompactLogix, specifically the 1769-L35E, you have the option of tying the program to the serial number of the processor.  ControlLogix differs and seems to be more dependant on FactoryTalk Security.

2 people like this