Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nileshsurya

plc-5 with 1771-db basic module

4 posts in this topic

hello there ppl, i have a plc-5/40 with an AB 1771-DB series B Basic module. i am using the age old PBASE software to connect to the basic module(i have it loaded on a compaq contura laptop running windows95). My problem is that i'm not being able to connect to the basic module. when i try to connect it from the PBASE, PBASE throws the error " Basic Module Not Responding" . my settings are as follows : 1) PRT1 as program port, PRT2 as ASCII Port, i am using a cross cable from 9-pin connector(from PC side) to 25-pin connector (1771-db side)-its config is pin 2 to pin 3, pin 3 to pin 2 , pin 5 to pin 7. the terminal mode is set to RS232 basic terminal in PBASE(with com1,1200baud and other relevant settings). all the jumper settings are made accordingly. 2) i have even tried to use DH485 as program port by making the jumper settings and using a PIC card(rs232 to DH485 converter) and then setting the terminal mode as DH485 in PBASE ( port com1,1200 baud and other relevant settings). the error thrown sometimes is "invalid network traffic detected" when i operate in DH485 program mode i have placed the basic module in the slot next to plc 5/40 cpu ( its a 16 slot chassis) and then configured the basic module in RSLOGIX5 in the following config ( rack - 0,group - 0,module - 0, 1-slot addressing) with the autopick done for the basic module. thinking that PBASE must have gone corrupted,i even tried windows95 hyperterminal utility to connect to the basic module through the cross cable on COM PORt 1 to program port PRT1 on basic module. But the error msg - "Unable to open com port" is thrown. the same com port communicates with PLC-5/40 on channel 0 perfectly fine(so i think there is no problem with the COM Port) WHILE ALL THESE EFFORTS ARE GOING ON, THE ACTIVE LED ON THE BASIC MODULE IS BLINKING(WHICH MEANS THAT THE BASIC MODULE IS IN COMMAND MODE) AND THE RED FAULT LED REMAINS OFF(WHICH MEANS THAT THERE IS NO FAULT) (AND LET ME TELL U ONE THING THAT THE BASIC MODULE IS JUST OUT OF THE BOX,IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY BASIC CODE LOADED ON IT RIGHT NOW) are these settings fine which are made by me or are there another settings which i have to make in order to make the BASIC module to Work prefectly? I am using the BASIC module to Print the alarms to a printer when alarm condition occurs in a process. i have to add more alarms to the module (by modifying the BASIC code in another DB/B Module and making relevant additions in the Ladder program in the PLC and then load all the modified code in this new basic module,which is not responding rightnow), but the basic module is not even responding, so i have stuck up at this stage. Does anyone have any idea,what can be the problem i would be very gr8ful n thankful if anyone provides me a way out of this problem, and its very urgent. Thanks IN advance,plz help me Regards NileshSURYA

You have two problems. Both are fundamental to serial communication. The first is that you probably have a COM port conflict. If you are going to use COM1 both for RSLinx and for Hyperterminal or PBASE, be absolutely certain that RSLinx is shut down (all the way, so it's not running as a service) before you try to use Hyperterminal to run the same serial port. If you have configured the 1747-PIC driver at any time, delete it and reboot. The second problem is that your cable is incorrect. Pin 2 and Pin 3 on a 9-pin and on a 25-pin are opposite. Your pinout would be correct for a "null modem" cable if both sides were the same connector type, but not for this instance. The correct null-modem cable for programming this 1771-DB is: DB25 - DB9 Pin 2 - Pin 2 Pin 3 - Pin 3 Pin 7 - Pin 5 This is the same as the 1770-CP10 cable that you use to communicate with the PLC-5 Channel 0 serial port.

thnx ken both problems were present in my system so i did two things 1)first i killed RSLinx service in windows95 to let pbase take charge of the COM port 2) i used straight cable as suggested by u n now the system is working fine but the official AB 1771-DB BASIC manual tells to do cross cabling instead of straight cabling neways thnx for the help Regards Nilesh

Hi, From where we can get the Pbase s/w to read the basic module program