AI'nt_4_me

Communicating from TCP/IP Device to AB PLC over Ethernet/IP

15 posts in this topic

I have a AB CompactLogix L43S with 1768 ENBT Ethernet/IP module. I would like to talk to a TCP/IP device (such as my laptop) from the PLC. How can I do this without using RSLinx? 

What are you wanting to communicate between the PC and PLC?  There are lots of softwares out there besides RsLinx but need more information.

RSLinx Lite used to be a free download.

I get the feeling they are wanting to use one of the paid features of the other versions of RsLinx that allow you to connect third party software to the PLC.

There's a guy on here quite a bit talking about a free SCADA software (name escapes me at the moment)  that might accomplish the task.

I think it's AdvanceHMI.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Yes I was just waiting on more information.  I would probably recommend Archie's https://www.advancedhmi.com/ for most PC connections but it depends on what they plan on doing.

At the moment, I would like to just communicate process data back and forth between the devices. I do not want to use RSLinx or bulky softwares. Is there a hardware adapter in the market that can do this? If not, please let me know some of the free software which you recommend using.  

Well then you are talking about a gateway device/protocol converter.

Look at Red Lion DSP or Anybus Gateway.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Between devices as in between two AB devices or AB and ...?  AB and communicate to AB without any additional software are hardware.

48 minutes ago, TWControls said:

Between devices as in between two AB devices or AB and ...?  AB and communicate to AB without any additional software are hardware.

I want to communicate between AB PLC and a Laptop 

52 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Well then you are talking about a gateway device/protocol converter.

Look at Red Lion DSP or Anybus Gateway.

Thanks! Will look into this more. If you have some free software alternatives that you recommend, please let me know.

Understood but what do you want to do on the laptop?  What software are you wishing to push PLC data into?  Or do you just want to display it?

Just now, TWControls said:

Understood but what do you want to do on the laptop?  What software are you wishing to push PLC data into?  Or do you just want to display it?

I just wish to display the data. The means does not matter to me (eg: in excel). 

i think the goal is to use generic TCP/IP message to communicate with a non-AB device (laptop, AtlasCopco etc.)