Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
5p6d

CANT ENABLE KINETIX 300 DRIVE

10 posts in this topic

I've got a 300 with Motionview that I'm going to run using the IOD connector with discrete signals.  First time to touch one of these.  I see the pin 29 is enable/inhibit.  I've tried +24VDC, 0v, and nothing and the drive will never 'enable'.  What am I missing?  I've got the the STO where the safety1 & 2 inputs are tied to +24VDC and the commons shorted together.  I tried unshorting the commons.  I tried removing the connector altogether.  I've read the manual, there nothing mentioning 'enabling' other than that pin 29 being high, which obviously doesn't work for me.  Any help?

Looks like pin 29 needs +24VDC and the 'commons' need 0V for the thing to be 'enabled'.

Where can I find a reliable and real time support resource?  I cannot find anything online that explains the motionview parameters, what the drive expects, etc.  Anyone??  Beuller?

Your local AB distributor is probably the best bet if you want to talk to a live person. I just searched for MotionView on Google and found Rockwell TechNote 823180 (Access level: everyone) that referred to this manual:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/cc-qs018_-en-p.pdf

A quick glance through the manual shows some references to MotionView and how to use it, but I didn't examine it in detail.

Thanks Joe, yes, I saw that document, it doesn't go into the detail I need.  I've been unable to access the AB support page since I began this project a month ago. 

One of the things that annoys me the most about AB is their paid support system. If you don't have a contract with them, I think your best next step is to go to your local distributor. They're supposed to have experts on staff to help with different products. Our distributor has been very helpful with issues we've had, in some cases better than AB.

Haha, there are a very large number of things that annoy me about AB...anyways, turns out the ABCcom pins tie to 0V, but you switch +24VDC to the inputs.  Still haven't found any helpful documentation, the AB manuals, as expected, are useless from an operational standpoint.  Can't get ahold of vendor...

There are some "timing diagrams" in the manual, but they are vague an not helpful.

Sorry I couldn't help more. The only Kinetix I've worked with is a 6500 and it's controlled by a CompactLogix L33ERM. I've never used the MotionView software.

STO connector

5 SafetyCOM -24

4 SafetyInput 1 +24 (Usually through a safety relay)

6 SafetyInput 2 +24 (Usually through a safety relay)

IOD connector

26 IN_A_COM -24

29 Inhibit/Enable +24

At a minimum this should be what you need to get the drive capable of enabling

I've never heard of MotionView, so I won't be much help there.

Thanks, I finally figured out that the 'com' terminals tie to 0V, and the inputs are switched to +24VDC.  I've been learning a lot about this thing, and have it running in and out via a simple PLC program, however there are so many parameters in the Motionview (this is on the drive itself, a webpage that you see via the ethernet connection) that I cannot find definitions of.  The manual mentions them and has a vague single sentence description, but nothing more.