dunc

GX works program read in a structured project?

5 posts in this topic

in GX works; is there any way around reading a structured project from a Q series CPU if the symbolic data (which takes up loads of room) isn't downloaded to the CPU initially?

with a simple project you can simply read the program straight to a new project and then work with it. this doesn't appear to be possible with a structured project?

siemens and allen bradley can manage this without having a huge CPU for a relatively small program, why cant mitsubishi?

I always thought you could read from the PLC's internal memory- but the code is always presented in MELSEC Instruction List.

15 hours ago, dunc said:

in GX works; is there any way around reading a structured project from a Q series CPU if the symbolic data (which takes up loads of room) isn't downloaded to the CPU initially?

If symbolic data havent been downloaded - you cant. 

But if this is small project (but i doubt because you are using Q series PLC, so it seems not the small project) you can simply recreate program by youself in Structured LD by reading MELSEC IL or if this PLC supports GX Works 2 - Simple LD. I did it once (when i have a little free time). Its simple to understand which addresses GX IEC Developer/Gx Works using for local  variables. So it isnt hard, only depends how much time you have.

13 hours ago, collinsd70 said:

I always thought you could read from the PLC's internal memory- but the code is always presented in MELSEC Instruction List.

Mostly i am working with FX series. In GX IEC you cant download symbolic data in FX PLC and as a result you can upload only in Melsec IL. In GX Works 2 - you can download Symbolic Data and then upload Structured LD porject (or if didnt download - upload in simple LD). But i believe you can download Symbolic Data only in newer version of PLC (for example for FX3U it must be 3.10+ version of PLC), but maybe i am wrong.

15 hours ago, dunc said:

siemens and allen bradley can manage this without having a huge CPU for a relatively small program, why cant mitsubishi?

I always thought it something for protection data from uploading. You must have Structured Project if you working with this PLC or you should write your own project.

Edited by SolidRio

If you send your symbolic data to the SD card it won't use up the program memory!!! 

we don't tend to use SD cards, but that is a good one to remember for the future.