Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iautomate

USB to Serial Cable

6 posts in this topic

Is is possible to communicate with a Micrologix 1000, 1200, or 1500 with the use of a Serial to USB cable attached to the regular communication cable for these models? My laptop has no Serial port and I do not wish to mess around with COM settings unless I know it will work. Any clues or experiences out there to share?

iautomate, It is possible to communicate with ML via USB to serial. I just got a new Keyspan P/N USA-19HS and tried it tonight. Worked great on a ML 1200 series C and a PV 300 Micro using a 1761-CBL-PM02.

The Keyspan unit is absolutely the best for this application. I have tried about five other no-name USB/RS232 converters and none of them approach the reliability and functionality of the Keyspan U19 series. The HS model is their current retail offering. My Keyspan U19i (2 years old) even supports the DF1 Autoconfigure feature of RSLinx, which I have not gotten to work with any other USB/RS232 converter. Be aware that the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver for DH-485 networking will NOT work with this sort of interface. For that, you need the A-B 1747-UIC. I carry both in my toolkit.

All the cheap USB to RS232 adaptors I have bought have worked fine (in fact very well) and all have worked with auto configure. Cost about $8 in UK for one based on the Prolific chipset, I have four currently, very handy, even having multiple comm ports on one USB hub works great.

I currently utilize a radio shack usb to serail adapter and it works on all the micrologix and slc plcs, if you want to use it for panel view you need to purchase a null moden adapter(7.64).

Hi, I have used a few USB to serial converters and have found that results are somewhat unpredictable. I would suggest you to go for 1747-UIC by RA. Best of luck and let me know if it works!