craisondigital

recover program from plc-5/15

13 posts in this topic

A machine was bought at auction which included PLC-5/15 module.  It did not come with a backup of the program.  Our maintenance technician said the program would not load and turned the module over to me (IT).  I notice the battery was installed in '92 so am assuming the program is lost.  Is their any internal memory or last ditch effort i can attempt to recover the program from this module?

Is a batteries dead then there is no way to recover the program. Your best that's going to be to try to get a copy of it from the OEM. Are they still in business?

That's going to make it complicated. Depending on how complex it is you may be able to get somebody write a program for it. Do you have any wiring diagrams or basic description of operation? Also while you're at it you might as well upgrade that to a modern PLC if you decide it's worth the investment.

How were you planning to communicate with it? It supports DH+/RIO protocol only.

Do you have the hardware to do so?

UPDATE:  I found the following article and I believe i have the eeprom module installed.  I have attached a picture for confirmation.  It says it is possible that the program could be installed on this.  Anyone know how i can check and/or try to restore from this?  Is this what you meant by DH+/RIO protocol?

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1785-td007_-en-p.pdf

20180821_123950.jpg

actually, it think i found it on page 13 from the above link.

Anyone think this is worth a try?

I didn't see to have you check for an eeprom. Yes I don't see where you have anything to lose by trying.

Is this what you meant by DH+/RIO protocol?

Those are the protocol(s) supported by the comm ports on the front of the controller. DH+ is the only way you can connect to program

the controller with RSLogix5.

Edited by Mickey

Thank you. I've ordered a new battery and will give it a try.  Hopefully we wont have to program!

If you need to program it and don't already have RSLogix 5, you may have to find a local integrator to help you, or replace the PLC. The last time we priced a license for RSLogix 5 (several years ago) it was VERY expensive. List price right now is $9980/seat for the Standard edition. By comparison, the Standard edition of RSLogix 500 and Studio 5000 are $2670/seat and $3640/seat respectively. They're trying to get people to stop using the PLC5.

We have had a large installed base of PLC5s for quite some time, so it's often an easy upgrade for us to replace a mini-PLC2 with a PLC5 since we already have several seats of the software. If we were starting out new, we would not go that route.

UPDATE #2.  I replaced the battery.  When I turn the DLP switch 6 and 7 to off, as described in the EEPROM guide,  the COMM and ADPT lights turn green, the Rem I/O light stays off, and the PROC light stays red.

When i leave the DLP switches at default (all on except 8 off) the PROC light stays red, the COMM light and REM/IO light are green, and the ADPT light stays off.

Any ideas?  Does this mean the program is proabably not stored on the EEPROM.  We did get the Computer to boot up and I did find a floppy disk labled setup.  I tried to read the disk from a Windows PC but it would not recognize it. 

Do you have the hardware and software to connect to the PLC?

If so connect and go online (upload program if it has one)

See pdf for indicator(s) descriptions

Indicators.pdf

Edited by Mickey