JGeis

Download program to Micrologix 1400

7 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new to PLC Programming, with just a simple course about the basics.

I've got a micrologix 1400 PLC which seems to have had its program wiped when the battery was replaced. I've had the company that supplied the machine it runs send me the program for the PLC. However, I don't have any software to communicate with it, and download the program to the PLC. I was hoping some one here could help me out and direct me towards what I will need to do to get the new program installed on the PLC.

Thank you 

Hi JGeis you need 2 pieces of software Rs Linx and RS logix now the RS Logix can be one of 2 versions depending on what the softwares written in eg RS Logix 500 or RS Logix 5000 ask the supplier to state what the program was written in.... now the softwares not cheap “many thousands” and then there’s the licensing, so if you don’t use the software all the time it will work out a lot cheaper for you to send the plc off to the supplier to re-install the program

hope this helps

Edited by GL3NN
1 person likes this

The Micrologix 1400 uses RsLogix 500.  You can purchase the Micro version of it for around $250.

RsLogix 5000 is for the Controllogix and Compactlogix family and those programs can't be downloaded into a Micrologix 1400.

1 person likes this

You will need rslinx software to establish to the communication with the PLC . Then need rslogix 500 ( the cheapest version is MICRO version ) to download your machine program into the PLC memory. 

Hope this help you.

1 person likes this

When you install RSLogix 500, it will automatically install RSLinx as well. Contact your local AB distributor for pricing on the different levels of RSLogix and decide which package you need and have the budget for.

RSLinx is not free, but RSLinx Lite is and it is commonly included with other products like RSLogix etc. Both full and lite versions will do in this case.

On 8/18/2018 at 0:40 PM, TWControls said:

The free RS Logix and Linx will only talk to a ML1000 and ML1100 you need to buy the software to communicate with the 1200 and 1400

kind regards

On 8/18/2018 at 0:40 PM, TWControls said:

The Micrologix 1400 uses RsLogix 500.  You can purchase the Micro version of it for around $250.

RsLogix 5000 is for the Controllogix and Compactlogix family and those programs can't be downloaded into a Micrologix 1400.