Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artz

Loading screen on NA

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I'm progressing little by little on my project. So I was thinking of ways to improve my code and interactivity and come up with the idea to popup a loading screen on those processes that requires some time to load.

The thing is, i'm not familiarized with threads or anything similar to it. My main question would be, how can I make a simple loading screen? (Or just an hourglass, img, etc.)

However I understand I would need to get some previous knowlegde about threads(?), if so, can anyone point me a guide or website, and also point me what can Sysmac Studio do and cannot relative to this matter?

Thx in advance.

Edited by Artz

Threads?  Exactly what do you mean?  You can display a screen based on a string variable or a numeric variable.

Okay, it seems I didn't formulate the right question or something... I thought it was a simple question.

On my HMI screen while operating, there's several pages where I click on a button, for example, to process a subroutine which makes the screen freeze until the end of the subroutine because it requires lot of code to process. What I want to do is show up an hourglass or loading popup to let the user know it's still processing the code.

When I was looking for a solution for this, I read something about threads in vb.net that allows the program to create a separate process while another is in progress.

Is this possible?

@Artz It's been two weeks since you asked, so I don't know whether this is still needed or not... But NA does allow you to run multiple Threads as you said.

In this post below, I demonstrated how to run a secondary thread which is doing some background processing. The example is just a counter, but you'll get the idea.
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/35055-anyone-have-much-experience-creating-iags/&do=findComment&comment=163685

So in your case the Main Thread is the user interface that will display the hourglass, and then you run a secondary thread which will run the time intensive subroutine.

Edited by innoaloe
1 person likes this

Hey thanks man, I will check the link out and see if I can apply correctly to my code. For the moment I don't have this as priority but I will reply back if everything works fine. Thanks again.