pszczepan

Ethernet/IP setting IP of devices

4 posts in this topic

Hi

I want to set ethernet/IP network with CJ2M and 3 posital fraba encoders.

I have problem to find out a way to set unique IP for encoders with MAC.

Posital has example for AB something like BOOTP/DHCP from RSNetWorx. 

How I can do it in Omron software? 

Omron does not have a BOOTP utility. Any manufacturer's BOOTP utility will work with any Ethernet/IP device.

I'm not sure if AB has improved their BOOTP but was very quirky last time I used it. I like the Keyence IP Setting Tool.

Keyence IP Setting Tool

I got some API for IP setting in my encoder and I did it.

When encoder is connected directly to my PC network card I can PING it, but when I connect encoder through switch ( standard - not optimalized for Ethernet/IP devices) Pings doesn't work.

It is my first experience with ethernet/IP and maybe I ask some stupid question - Do I need special switch or it should work.

When I connect encoder directly to my CJ2M and connect Network Configurator through USB I can't find my encoder IP it simply doesnt exist.

Is important to use crossed wire or straight? - Anyway LEDs on encoder are blinking

thanks for support

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:42 AM, pszczepan said:

Do I need special switch or it should work.

Any standard switch should work OK. Optimized for Ethernet/IP typically only means using a managed switch with IGMP snooping turned ON. CIP client traffic is broadcasting to all ports. This allows the switch to learn where the CIP messages are being sent thus sending them to the correct ports.

Is important to use crossed wire or straight?

When connecting to a switch, a Straight through cable should be used. When connecting One to One (or device to device), a cross over cable should be used.

That being said, most network adaptors on laptops will automatically switch TX/RX signals to properly communicate eliminating the need for a cross over cable.

When encoder is connected directly to my PC network card I can PING it, but when I connect encoder through switch ( standard - not optimalized for Ethernet/IP devices) Pings doesn't work.

Have you tried using a cross over cable from your encoder to the switch? I would be very surprised if that works but it sounds like the encoder may require it.