Glenn Robinson

I2C Communication

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard of a way to communicate with an I2C device over Ethernet/IP from a CompactLogix PLC?  There are plenty of ways to do it from a PC over a USB-to-I2C converter, but doing it from a PLC seems to be a rare event.

I appreciate the help.

If your microcontroller-based device used SPI or another low-level interface like a shift-register or parallel discrete interface, then the HMS brick or module implementation of their CompactCom NP40 chip would be ideal:

https://www.anybus.com/products/embedded-index/anybus-compactcom-modules/m40-details/anybus-compactcom-m40-module---ethernet-ip

Hilscher is also a leader in embedded board levels stuff.   I'm working with their relatively-bigger NT100 units this month, but they also make board-level products

https://www.hilscher.com/products/product-groups/embedded-modules/communication-module/comx-51ca-reeis/

The communication is strictly serial.  The chip that I would be communicating with is embedded inside a finished product.  The communication is used to calibrate the device prior to shipment.  The customer is currently using a PC-based control and a National Instruments USB-to-I2C converter.  It works, but it's a band-aid system.  They want to upgrade to something that can better handle the industrial environment and is easier to troubleshoot.  If necessary, I can use the PLC for setting the calibration conditions, then a mini-PC to handle the communcation between the PLC and the finished product.  I'd rather not as it adds another layer to the system, but I can if that's my best bet.