BITS N BYTES

COMPACTLOGIX MOTION WITH POWERFLEX DRIVES CRANE APPLICATION

8 posts in this topic

Reviewing new gantry crane application with CompactLogix and Powerflex drives. Trying to figure out whether I should utilize 755 or lower cost 527 Series Powerflex Drives for this application. It would seem that either drive can be configured as and Axis within Studio 5000. BUT I can find no relevant documentation regarding whether either drive offers the ability for anti-sway moves. Any recommendations or past experience with similar applications would be most welcome.

Allen-Bradley does have a brochure for the PF 755 utilized for material handling/crane applications.  However, the literature does not fully disclose "anti-sway" ability.  If you are talking material handling/anti-sway control, "lower cost" often is a recipe for a problem.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/pflex-br009_-en-p.pdf

Magnetek, a material handling controls/equipment manufacturer, does have an anti-sway control solution.  https://www.magnetekmh.com/Products/AC%20Drives/IMPULSE%20AC%20Drives/Sway%20Control%20System%20Series%202

ABB has more of a refined material handling/anti-sway solution.  https://new.abb.com/drives/media/crane-control-solutions

Thanks kaiser_will.

I am already familiar with the items you shared links. The AB brochure refers primarily to the hoist axis of the crane. The ABB solution and Magnetek products provide an off-the-shelf solution.

In my case the customer is insisting on using Allen-Bradley. The application is for a relatively simple automated storage/retrieval system in their exiting facility.

I would be surprised if the 525/527 drive is sufficient for this. Your local distributor should be able to help you and/or get you in touch with an expert at Rockwell.

While at a previous employer we did crane automation and the PowerFlex 755 was what we used for each axis.

Was just at an RA Distributor sponsored "mini-automation fair".  One of the presenters when talking about 75X versus 52X drives mentioned they are often both suited for the same applications.  The 75X is usually the End User choice due it's robustness, while the 52X is the OEM/Equipment-Builder choice because of its lower cost.  Not sure this logic holds true with the specialized crane application you describe, but still a consideration.

Hmm! Another thought. If I always move the hoist position such that the load is moved upward to the maximum z vertical position prior to any x-y moves would this eliminate/minimize anti-sway issues. i.e. Always move load up to max z, make required x-y move and then lower z-axis to desired height.Will contact RA for their ideas how to handle this issue. Thanks all for feedback.

We had the same issue with sway.  We ended up hoisting all the way up.  We also had locating/locking guides to help reduce sway.  Either way, sway became an issue when lowering near the stack as the cables became longer and more prone to movement.