SeanP

Communicating with old panelview plus

7 posts in this topic

I have some old Panelview plus displays (version5) that are not being used.  I would like to set them up to communicate with some version 30 PLCs for some basic indication (nothing important).  I know the hardware version won't support it communicating in the standard way, but has anybody been able to set up generic communication for something like this.  I hate for the displays to go to waste, but AB will just tell me to buy a new display.  I figure there has to be a way to communicate to the display with MSG statements or something.  This isn't for a specific project, just trying to not watse displays that we have.

Thanks.

You should have no problem at all getting the HMIs to talk to your PLCs over Ethernet/IP if the PLCs support it. We have a bunch of older version PV+ HMIs. I just worked on one of them at hardware v5.00 that's talking to an L81E at v30.

I am not able to select the newer processors in the communication path of the version 5 PV+ HMIs.  I was hoping to be able to select a sort of generic ethernet path or something similar.  Thanks.

have you tried connecting via RS232 instead of Ethernet 

A newer version of FT View Studio should get the newer processors. With the newer View Studio version, you can still compile back to the earlier runtime versions.

You've identified that the basic problem is that RSLinx Enterprise doesn't recognize the newest controllers, so you can't create a Shortcut from the normal browsing method.

The first thing I'd try is to manually enter an old 1756-L6x controller into the RSLinx Enterprise schema, as though it was in Slot 0 of a 1756 chassis.

If that doesn't work, I agree that an upgraded copy of FTView Studio is probably appropriate, with a *.MER compiled to run on v5.x firmware.