bagged2drag

logix designer Installing V29 when 31 is installed

7 posts in this topic

I have a plc program that was made in Logix designer V29.  I had logix designer V28 on my computer, so I figured I'd updgrade straight to 31.  Usually it lets me choose which versions to install (if I recall, its been a while).  Anyways, I installed V31, went to open the program, and I cannot load it as I don't have V29 loaded.  I instead tried installing V29, but I am unable to install it because I have a newer version.  I tried uninstalling V31 and then installing V29, but I was still unsuccessful.  It errors at RSLinx Enterprise yet.    Anyone know the work-around?

Thanks,

I've never had trouble installing an older version after installing a newer one but I can see where RSLinx wouldn't install if a newer version is already there. Can you skip that step or un-check RSLinx in the earlier stages of the install? I know on some of the older versions you could select "Custom" instead of "typical" or "full" and select which components to install or not.

I guess it uses RSLinx Enterprise for the HMI software that's built in now. In the past, it never installed RSLinx Enterprise, only RSLinx Classic.

Unfortunately the option to skip RSLinx was not available.  The box was grayed out.   I ended up uninstalling it instead (I forget what the actual program was, but it was not directly RSLinx, even though that was the issue).   After doing so, I was able to install as expected.   Somewhat goofy, as it usually isn't that difficult.   

Thanks.

Not usually, but sometimes. I had a weird error installing v16 on a laptop that already had 12-15. It somehow already had a newer version of FT Activation Manager installed and gave an error but the rest of the install went fine and it works.

I had the same issue. The program I first uninstalled was FactoryTalk Linx. That did the trick to install version 29 of studio 5000.

i just wanted to add something to this post.  I was attempting to install logix designer v28 through 31, after installing v32.  i found this post and was getting ready to uninstall factory talk linx.  i decided to try one last time before uninstalling.  when it got to the point of selecting what to install i clicked next and my boxer decided to try and be a lap dog pulling my external drive off the desk and disconnecting it from the computer.  the installer at that point asked for direction to find install files for linx, one option was to skip installing linx, i selected skip.  i plugged the drive back in and selected retry and designer installed without having to uninstall factory talk linx.  i used this method for the other versions and it worked.  I hope this helps someone else.

1 person likes this

On 9/18/2019 at 2:15 AM, Lboone said:

i just wanted to add something to this post.  I was attempting to install logix designer v28 through 31, after installing v32.  i found this post and was getting ready to uninstall factory talk linx.  i decided to try one last time before uninstalling.  when it got to the point of selecting what to install i clicked next and my boxer decided to try and be a lap dog pulling my external drive off the desk and disconnecting it from the computer.  the installer at that point asked for direction to find install files for linx, one option was to skip installing linx, i selected skip.  i plugged the drive back in and selected retry and designer installed without having to uninstall factory talk linx.  i used this method for the other versions and it worked.  I hope this helps someone else.

Thank you so much lboone! This worked perfectly for me.