AkumaShi

PLC that can hold its memory

4 posts in this topic

I want some recommendations for a PLC that can hold its memory for long periods of time with no power. I have a customer that has the molds that only get used a couple of times a year and when they are not being used they sit in storage until they need them again. Currently they have a DirectLogic05 controller and what they have noticed is that when they pull these molds out of storage to use them, the program is lost and they got to download it again. They want to make it to were all they gotta do is plug and play basically for this machine. Is there a special module or a processor that can hold its program for long periods of time while it has no power on it? 

Edited by AkumaShi
Spelling Error

The new AB CompactLogix and ControlLogix processors do not require batteries.

The S7-300 series of Siemens processors also don't use batteries. I don't know about their newer 1500 processors but I would be shocked if they need batteries.

Since you're already using DirctLogic controllers, I doubt that any of those are in your price range. AB also makes their MicroLogix 800 series that (I'm pretty sure) doesn't use batteries either and is probably price comparable and uses free software (CCW). Their PanelView 800 line goes with the MicroLogix 800 processors and is also programmed with CCW.

Full disclosure: I have only used CCW when I had no choice and I'm not a fan of the software, though it may have improved since I tested it a few years ago. In your situation, it may make sense. You can download the software and install it (I would strongly recommend using a virtual machine) to tinker and see what it does and if you think it will work for you.

For example the MicroLogix 1200 Memory module (1762-mm1) Could that also hold the memory for a PID? The issue at the moment is that since the processor goes without power for such long periods of time that all information on the PID gets lost. Does that module or even a processor that takes a SD card, does that also hold the variables for the PID?