Eric Miller

Possible to test CX-Programmers serial/RS232 communications settings?

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if it is possible to test RS232 communications across a virtual serial port(or any other options) using CX-Programmer? 

I have to go do a start-up on a unit and I will not be able to get my hands on any of the the devices until I actually go out to the customers facility, so I would like to test the programs and communications settings between the 2 devices somehow here at the office before I go out to the customer faclities...

It will be an Omron CP1H PLC communicating with a Beijer touchscreen via RS-232. I believe i just need a straight DB9 cable with a Null Modem Adapter (not sure of any dip-switch settings yet?).

The Beijer touchscreen has an Online Simulator (screenshot attached) that lets me choose the com port to use for the communications, which I was hoping to use to communicate with CX-Programmer (screenshot of serial settings also attached)

Touchscreen: BEIJER PWS6710T-N  LINK to website

PLC: OMRON CP1H-X40DT1-D    with a serial/RS232 adapter: OMRON CP1W-CIF01     

Not sure what all details would be needed for this, so if i missed any let me know!

Thanks!

Eric

Beijer touchscreen - online simulator.JPG

omron serial settings.JPG

Edited by Eric Miller

The Omron 9 pin pinout is NOT standard.

See the attachment.  You will need build or purchase a cable from Beijer

Omron 9 pin pinout.jpg

ok, I think I found the cable that I need? It is a Beijer CAB30. I will have to call them to confirm tho!

I attached some info for that cable, haven't been able to find a pinout for it yet...

I will take some connectors to make my own cable as well, just in case

Does Omron just need the RX and TX pins connected? or does it need all signals to communicate?

Thanks for that info!

Beijer cab30.JPG

Beijer touchscreen - com 1.JPG

Edited by Eric Miller

I guess Eltima's Serial Port Tester can help.It supports virtual COM ports monitoring and allows to  customize serial port preferences.

There are several hardware options, but what I understood for sure is that with a software solution it will be easier and faster for me monitoring the connections COM port.
You try to connect a couple of times with the help of serial port analyzer and you will understand what I am talking about.

Edited by zimmerMan