AkumaShi

Retrofitting old PLC5

6 posts in this topic

I have a customer that is wanting to upgrade his old PLC5 to something newer. I am still pretty new to the PLC world and was hoping to get some insight on possibly what might be the best fit. I still do not know a lot on this sytems. What I do know is that there are 5 input cards 2 output cards 1 analog input and 1 analog RTD card. Also the customer has a screen that uses rsview and he would still like to use that. Anyone got any suggestions on where I should start? Or even what other information I would need in order to find the perfect fit? 

Just goto Rockwell's website, and search for PLC5 migration.

You see everything you need to know.

On the RSView, need more detail.  Is it PC based RSView32?  With some extra logic, you should be able to maintain the majority of your original application.

@pcmccartney1Thank you for the information!!! And as of more info on the rsview, sad to say but I am unsure of what they got. I have yet to even had the time to go out to the site to even look at the setup that they have. 

Ideally, a one-to-one PLC program conversion with identical HMI screen layout/functionality is probably the objective.  Same functionality, updated equipment - no enhancements.

Request a drawing of the whole control system.  There could be communication modules that interface with other equipment (remote I/O racks, DeviceNet to VFDs, etc.).  You need to be 100% sure of everything controlled by this PLC.

You will need the latest PLC program.  Do you have PLC-5 programming software (i.e., RSLogix 5 or AI)?  The complexity and functions that are in the PLC code will dictate which platform to upgrade to.  A CompactLogix 5370 L1-L2-L3 controller may be a good choice, but features utilized may force you to upgrade to a ControlLogix.

I would be surprised if there's anything in the PLC5 that a CompactLogix can't handle, but it's entirely possible, so, like kaiser_will said, you need to be absolutely certain. Ask for a photograph of the PLC chassis and the back of the HMI. If the DH+/RIO channels of the PLC5 are unused or are only used for the HMI, your migration should be pretty straightforward. The PV+ HMIs have built-in Ethernet/IP ports so they can talk to a Logix 5000 system very easily.

If there are remote racks, it will be more complicated. In that case, I would push hard to replace all IO with new Ethernet/IP IO instead of reusing the old stuff. It's very tempting and Rockwell's migration plans will offer that as an interim measure, but I would skip that step entirely if at all possible and go straight to new IO across the board.

As has been suggested above, get as much detail as you can. I would probably insist on a site visit and put eyes on the actual system, including detailed photos and going online with the PLC to be absolutely sure you have the right program file to work with.

I would think it would be dependent on the size and scope of the system, it's I/O content, comms interfaces required to support.  Then there's the cost.  To minimize downtime, sometimes it's better to go with the ControlLogix route and maintain the existing IO and wiring through the use of the original swing arms and I/O modules.  Of course, this gets you into newer controllers with a future, but the I/O is still tied to the old PLC5.  While much can still be found but are fewer and fewer, the prices for these components is sky rocketing.  Other times, it's better to go the complete replacement direction.

There are migration tools for both the software and the hardware.  They vary in completeness, you might still have to rewrite some code.  Pay particular attention to the RSView (assumed to be 32).  Look long and hard at various comms networks and how you would need to maintain them or consider newer comms protocols.

Personally, I'm a proponent of the complete replacement route for total life cycle of the machine and future support.

You need to evaluate all these things to make an informed decision.  Maybe your customer only needs to extend the life span of the machine by a few years.  Maybe your deems this machine (work horse) and needs to extend the life span for a decade or longer.  This should help to make the wisest solution for this machine and your customer and your company.