Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TwinCAT Newbie

Twincat 2 with Motion control (Maxon motor) and torque sensor

1 post in this topic

Hi,  I'm new to TwinCAT 2 and i'm upgrading a long time design (hence the TwinCAT 2 reference), to read a more sensitive torque signal.  I'm using a Beckhoff CX1030 as my PLC Controller.  I needed to add 'homing' to my motor sequence and confirmed with Maxon, im using the function blocks correctly and in the correct sequence to establish my 'absolute zero'/'home' position.  The motor has an output to write to:  ControlWord, which tells the motor that the position it is sitting in is '0.'  My program compiles, it runs, it writes each function block, but it's not seeming to get back to the test run opMode, even though i tell it to and the function block performs the 'Write' function.  it's stuck at zero and not reading an analog input signal from my torque sensor.  so im getting an artificial torque reading through every test.  

i think this is related to my tare motion.  I start the program, home the motor, get into profile velocity mode, tare my sensor, enter profile position mode, go back to position 0, then back to profile velocity mode, run a test, sample data, go back to 'home' or '0.'  I wonder 1st, is my variable not linked properly through the system manager?  2nd, i set a boolean variable to set the 4th bit to 1 in my control word write (setting the 4th bit high will set my current position to absolute zero), but did i not connect the program to the main sequence properly?  looking to read a valid signal again and see that my motor moves back to 'home' each time.  Do i not need to home the motor after the tare, since the tare nulls out the torque value after the tare?

after this i need to program my sample period, instead of it being fixed, as it is currently written and then use my home position as my trigger to start sampling.... Beckhoff applications department is overloaded, currently and can't help and this is all beyond the knowledge of the general support line.  I've gotten fairly far, on my own, but of course, the project is under a time crunch.  

Does anyone know twincat well enough to help guide me?