Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Xesusss

Omron Sp16

23 posts in this topic

Hi I need information of the conection of the omron cable to conect a PC to a PLC SYSMAC Mini SP16. I have to reprogram a SP16 and I am in need of the cable... Can somebody send me the diagram and other usefull info please? Can somebody send me a manual of Mini SP16? Can somebody said to me if i can reprogram it with Cx-programer or Syswin? Thanks

CX Programmer and Syswin cannot be used to program the SP10,SP16 or SP20. Here's the link to the software for the SP10: MiniLSS W197_E1_2B_SP10_16_20_Operation_Manual.pdf

I'm afraid the answer is going to be the same as the answer posted about the SP20. Here's the link: Cable for SP10,16,20 If you do manage to get the active chips and components to build this cable, please post the answer here.

Hi folks, here is some info on the SPxx serial port cable to the PC and my homemade solution. Have fun, Wim SP10_SP16_SP20_cable_to_PC.zip

Thanks and kudos to kmpk5 for applying some good old basement engineering and coming up with the solution for this often asked for answer. For those who don't have a GIF viewer, here's what the cable looks like. Please also read kmpk5's text file included in the download.

Thank you Jay and kmpk5. I have tried for months to find this information. Sid.

I was wondering, if the cable works with SK20 too.

After watching the drawing a bit, i found some "errors". 1. There's no value for the C11 2. Am i supposed to connect the nullmodem cable's pins 4 and 7 dirrectly to the 4 and 7 of the PLC? (This kinda has something to do with point 3.) 3. Am i supposed to connect the nullmodem cable's pins 3 and 5 to the 'to cpu' and 'from cpu' points? (Why does the logic change here about connecting the pins? You should clearly mark where the pins connect.) 4. The 2nd port of the 7404 miss the marking (not a big thing, but should be put there)

Another thing. It says in the readme that: "One problem remains: how to get hold of the special 8 pin male connector that the SPxx uses. ... ...try to roll your own from a PC keyboard/mouse plug. You will have to remove a plastic keypin and you are short of the DTR/RTS pins, but they can be replaced by a local loop on the PC side (RTS to CTS and DTR to DCD and DSR)." In this case i don't need the R23 and R25, right? What about the R30, it's still needed, right?

I used the direct cable diagram almost as shown in the lower right side of Jay Anthony's attached image. I only connected to pins 3, 5, and 8 on the SP20. I connected that much of it exactly as shown. On the computer side DB9 only, I then connected pins 1,4, and 6 together with a jumper. I then connected pins 7 and 8 together with another jumper. For the connector on the PLC, I salvaged the male pins from a connector and just crimped them on the wires and put them in the correct pin hole on the PLC. It was a crude fix but it worked. Sid

Yeah, the problem here is, that i have SK20, and even though they can be progged with the same programming console, the hardware is different and i can't be sure SKxx can take the standard +-12V. That's why i'd like to build the converter vevsion.

The programming port of the SP10 and the SK20 are identical. So the simple cable with the limiting resistor should work fine on the SK20. It's been a long time since I have seen 12V on a RS232 laptop or notebook port. Maybe an old desktop would still adhere to the 12V convention. I think I would make a simple cable and be done with it.

Hi guys, I noticed some people had additional questions and there was some confusion about the diagram. Let me try to clear things up: >After watching the drawing a bit, i found some "errors". First of all: the drawing at the top is NOT a circuit that you need to copy. It is a representation of the circuit that is used INSIDE the SP10. I have reverse engineered the SP10 serial port hardware to find out how to connect it to my PC. The only thing you need is the cable shown at the bottom of my diagrams. >1. There's no value for the C11 Could not see the value of C11 on the SP10 board since it was an SMD. Just used to filter the input signals to the cpu inside the SP10 >2. Am i supposed to connect the nullmodem cable's pins 4 and 7 dirrectly to the 4 and 7 of the PLC? (This kinda has something to do with point 3.) There are two options given for the cable: - first option (drawing bottom left) is a convertor that translates the SP10 plug into a standard 9 pin male connector like the one you find on the serial port of your PC. To use this converter cable you will ALSO need a nullmodem cable (which has two female 9 pin connectors on both ends and internally crossed RTS-CTS and TxD-RxD wires). Null-modem cables are used to connect two PCs together. The convertor cable makes the SP10 look like another PC. -second option (drawing on the bottom right) is a cable that directly connects the SP10 to the serial port on your PC. That cable has a Female 9 pin on the right side that will plug into the 9 pin male of the PCs serial port. This cable has the correct wire crossings inside. >3. Am i supposed to connect the nullmodem cable's pins 3 and 5 to the 'to cpu' and 'from cpu' points? (Why does the logic change here about connecting the pins? You should clearly mark where the pins connect.) The indications 'to cpu' and 'from cpu' in the top diagram refer to the processor that is INSIDE the SP10. You only need to worry about the pin numbers given for the connector on the SP10. That same numbering is used for the left side connector in the two cable diagrams at the bottom. >..will have to remove a plastic keypin and you are short of the DTR/RTS pins, but >they can be replaced by a local loop on the PC side (RTS to CTS and DTR to DCD >and DSR)." >In this case i don't need the R23 and R25, right? What about the R30, it's still needed, right? You don't need the R23 etc at all. They are present INSIDE the SP10. You just need one of the cables shown at the bottom (with one protection R inside). The schematic diagram at the top is for your reference and understanding only. Perhaps I should not have shown the diagram and just limited myself to the cables (sorry). Hope this helps, Wim Huiskamp (kmpk5)

Thanks for the answer, i did think about that drawing being from the PLC itself, but i didn't find any 7404s from SK20, so i thought i might have to build the cabel according to that schematic. I built the direct cable (with the ps/2 connector and little chanmges) and it works good on my 486/25 laptop. The minilss doesn't seem to be able to connect on my 1.333Ghz ATHLON machine, even when slowed down, but maybe i just haven't slowed it down enough (the prog shows my machines speed incorrectly). Anyway thanks, i've had 2 SK20 for a while and didn't find anything to prog them with until now. Now, if only i could find a way to prog this NT20S that i have... d:)

Actually, the round connector used on the SP PLCs was the same as Modicon uses on the TSX Micro and TSX Premium as well as Mitsubishi uses on the FX2N and Q series. Here's the best part... It's also the Macintosh serial plug. Go to a computer store (or Staples, Office Max, etc.) and buy a Mac extension cable, and you'll have one male and one femal end, just cut the cable long enough and do all your crossing and jumpering at the cut end!

Here's a link to the Omron site for the DOS NTSS2.33 software. It will program your NT20S. NTSS V2.33 Touchscreen Software

Hí, I'm having troubles to install the MiniLSS in my Laptop. When I run the program appear the error: Runtime error 200 at 3753:91 Yesterday I could run the program (after many intentes of instalation), but now in morning I can't run it. Am I doing something wrong in the installation. For install I hed to extract all archives in A, after a Folder names Omron was created inside another forlder name MiniLSS inside all the archives, I run the Install archive and appears a DOS program. With F2 to install from A to C. And this was the only way that I could runthe program yesterday. But Today I can´t run it. Can somebody help me? Thanks.

Do you have SPxx_cable_to_pc.zip,I need it,Now I buy the cable of sp16 is difficut in china,so I must DIY,Can you help me for it,thanks Bestregards Zhang heng (wf08138) zhr1126@msn.com

The link is fixed: SPxx_cable_to_pc.zip

I received the same runtime error attempting to run the program under Windows XP, it appears probable that it can't be run under windows. However, fortunately, old computers are fairly cheap, have serial ports, and you can still download FreeDOS, which should run MiniLSS.

It's worth a try to change the compability mode to Win95 !? Have a look at the properties of the application *.exe, at the compability tab.

I have tested and MiniLSS run well on WinXP with CPUKiller down to <400mHz. But I cannot connect to PLC. I tested and no signal out from COM1 (select COM1). Please help me.