planemaker680

Trace Function?

6 posts in this topic

Hello all,

This is my first post and my question may seem a bit stupid (my background is mechanical).

Some of the equipment we sell uses Omron PLCs, I have a legitimate copy of CX Programmer and I am trying to trace lack of an output.

I have seen a trace function in PLC programming software years ago (might have been AB). Anyway I have read the CX Programmer manual and cannot figure out if this is possible.

What I would like to do is just display  the relevant upstream rungs to a specific output and not have to go through the whole program. Is this possible?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AJM

You need to display the "Address Reference Tool" window on the CX-P screen. Each time you select an object in the program by clicking on it that window will display every program rung which references it. When you click on a reference in that window it will take you to the corresponding rung in the program.

Edited by Mendon Systems

Usefull shortcuts, depending on what you want to trace:

1:Spacebar

2: Alt+4

Thanks for your help. Looks like I will have to trawl through the ladder.

The OEM uses a default program for all machines and all options. They just disable functions and options not relevant to the actual machine (permanently off) which leaves a lot of dead rungs to go through depending on functionality. 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, Mendon Systems said:

You need to display the "Address Reference Tool" window on the CX-P screen. Each time you select an object in the program by clicking on it that window will display every program rung which references it. When you click on a reference in that window it will take you to the corresponding rung in the program.

Yes thats right use your "address reference tool" to see where all it is used. And from there away you need to understand the program well enough to know what code actually will affect that output. My understanding of the "Trace" you referenced(at least for Omron) is a troubleshooting tool to track all the different values that a variable has contained. For example if they are changing so fast you can't see them real time by watching it in the program.

When I hear trace, I think sample data over time, because that's what the data trace functions in CX-Programmer and Sysmac Studio do.

Searching for an address is more cross reference than trace.