Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mspeck

Data Read from 1769-L33ER To SLC 5/05 Via Ethernet

5 posts in this topic

Good morning,

My company recently purchased 3 new boilers, each boiler has a 1769-L33ER processor.

There is also a 'Master' PLC that reads data from each of those boilers.

Being that these machines are boilers I am unable to modify the logic due to safety and liability concerns of the manufacturer. Yes, we can gain access to be able to change the logic but then we are responsible for any errors or issues that may arise. 

My question is, I would like to add another PLC so that I can read tags from all of the boilers, Another 'Master' if you will. This would allow me to write logic for alarming and data collection without actually touching the proprietary programs.

I currently have an  old SLC 5/05 which I would like to use, but also could upgrade if there is no way of performing this task.

Communication would be over ethernet.

Can this be accomplished easily, Like an HMI reading tags  

I've never done it, but you should be able to use MSG instructions in the 5/05 to read tags out of the CompactLogix processors. I have used a MSG instruction to transfer data between ControlLogix processors whose supported firmware versions were too far apart for produce-consume tags to be set up. That worked well. Back in the dark ages, I also used MSG instructions to transfer data between SLC 5/04 processors over DH+ with great reliability and ease.

Edited to add:

You will probably have to set up "SLC Mapping" in the CompactLogix processors for the 5/05 to read them. That will require modifying the PLCs, which you don't want to do. With that in mind, you may be better off using another CompactLogix PLC or using an HMI (like Red Lion or AdvancedHMI).

Edited by Joe E.
More info...

Thanks Joe for getting back with me,

If I use a RedLion, I could send tags to it from the 'Master' But how then could my 5/05 read those tags from the RedLion. Or am I misunderstanding what you are stating ?

I use RedLion here at my facility for generating OEE screens on my plant floor, So those are accessible to me and have some understanding of there operation

Can you just do the logging and alarming in the Red Lion directly? If you need to get the information into another PLC, the Red Lion can serve as a gateway. We have 2 systems where we have a G3 HMI transferring data between a ControlLogix PLC and 2 Eurotherm controllers over Modbus/TCP. It can do the same between the 5/05 and CompactLogix processors. Or you can add a CompactLogix that should be able to read tags directly via MSG instructions.

Using MSG instructions will likely get very cumbersome if the tags you need to read aren't part of an array tag structure. If you need to read a bunch of individual tags, this may get ugly with MSGs....

There's more I need to accomplish than just logging and alarming.

I'm going to see if I can access the 'Master' PLC and see how it is reading data from the 3 boilers.  If I need to upgrade to a Compact Logics I will if required.

Thank You for your support Joe, I will post my findings