Daethl

Working with "external" NA pdf files

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm fairly new working with OMRON NA5 and I was wondering: Is it posible to load a pdf file in Runtime so I can see it on screen? I know I'm supposed to load the documents in resources but that would be when I'm programming the project in Sysmac Studio before download it to the HMI (see Image_000 attached), but I have no idea regarding how to load files to the root directory while the project is running I mean, is that function avalieable in the NA5?

I think I could use its ftp server but I'm not really sure, I'd appreciate if any of you could guide me regarding this issue or if there is an OMRON manual regarding how to access these directories and such.

Image_000.png

If we refer to the Manual, then no other way to view PDF documents in NA5 except by pre-load it first to the Resource (basically making a copy of the PDF file inside NA memory).

Up until the latest version of Sysmac Studio (1.20 afaik) there is only one command to load PDF file, which is ShowDocument that can only refer to the Resource ID instead of a directory (like USB / SDCard). Oddly enough, if you check on OpenMovieFile command, you can load an "External" Movie files from external storage like an SDCard, but they won't give you this feature for documents :shrug:

Soo.... I will suggest you to try using the ShowDocument command, but change the ResourceID argument with an absolute path, like "\SDCard\MyDoc.pdf" or USBMemory or even FTP if that's fits you better. Haven't tried this yet personally

Thank you innoaloe! I'll try that then and I'll let you know what happens.

On 9/2/2018 at 8:46 AM, innoaloe said:

If we refer to the Manual, then no other way to view PDF documents in NA5 except by pre-load it first to the Resource (basically making a copy of the PDF file inside NA memory).

Up until the latest version of Sysmac Studio (1.20 afaik) there is only one command to load PDF file, which is ShowDocument that can only refer to the Resource ID instead of a directory (like USB / SDCard). Oddly enough, if you check on OpenMovieFile command, you can load an "External" Movie files from external storage like an SDCard, but they won't give you this feature for documents :shrug:

Soo.... I will suggest you to try using the ShowDocument command, but change the ResourceID argument with an absolute path, like "\SDCard\MyDoc.pdf" or USBMemory or even FTP if that's fits you better. Haven't tried this yet personally

It worked! thank you innaloe. I used the code as you suggested and loaded different files to the sd card and the ftp server (via copy to the usb and  filezilla respectively) and it worked without problems.

5a7f1696babdd_180210LecturaPDF.thumb.png

Edited by Daethl
2 people like this

Wow, that's good to know! Thank you for coming back and telling us about it.
Still it felt weird that Omron does not even mention this in their manuals :disgust:. That, or maybe I am looking at the wrong place

Edited by innoaloe

I was going to test this yesterday but didn't have time. Very innovative thinking innoaloe! Thanks for testing Daethl!

I wanted to do something similar some time ago. The other issue that stopped me was, the NJ can create CSV files but not XLS. The NA5 can read XLS but not CSV.