grasmussen

Registering EDS Files

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I seem to have gotten myself into a whopper of a problem at work. I am trying to register an EDS file in Studio 5000 ver. 30. The EDS file is from Bihl-Wiedemann for an ASi Gateway device. In Studio I am going to Tools, then EDS Hardware Installation Tool, then I drill down to where I have the EDS file saved, select it and click Next, Next. Then I get the message at the end saying You have successfully completed the EDS Wizard, and there are no errors in the error box. Great! Except now when I go to the Ethernet Tree and attempt to add this device, There are no Bihl-Wiedemann devices available. I have also tried this with an IO-Link device from Turck, same result. Rockwell tech support had me Uninstall all versions of RSLogix and Studio and then reinstall just ver. 30. Did that, same result.

Anybody have any great ideas for me to try?

Not sure, you tried to reinstall RSLogix which is what I would suggest. The only thing I can think of, is sometimes when I try to add a module I can't find it because I type the name wrong. Sounds stupid but it got me confused a couple times. Try to use the scroll bar on the "Select Module Type" window and slowly scroll down the whole list, maybe the modules are there but named differently than you thought.

Untitled1.png

Edited by AndrewG
Added image

Silly suggestions or questions.

You got a model # for the device?  Please post it.  Any chance this is not an EtherNet/IP gateway to AS-i device?

Have you tried the "Module Discovery" feature?

Rather than doing the registration from RSLogix or Studio, have you tried the good old fashion way from RSLinx Classic EDS Registration tool?

Additionally, there have been several recent posts complaining about MS updates and patches that have really messed with RSLogix, Studio and RSLinx.  These have forced people to uninstall the patches and re-install Rockwell products to get functional again.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. I did try all of the things I could think of logically. Ended up on the phone with RA Tech Support for a total of 6 hours over 2 days.

Of course one of their suggestions was to Uninstall ALL versions of RSLogix5000 and Studio5000, which just that alone takes over 2 hours. I then re-installed Studio ver. 30. Still no luck.

The next thing the gal looked at was for the proper version of RSLinx. Hmmmmmm I only had RSLinx Enterprise. OK, so install RSLinx Classic for Studio ver. 30. Still no luck.

So next the gal takes remote control of my machine and wants to STOP all services using MSConfig. Now we are getting into some pretty serious stuff. After doing that and rebooting, lo and behold, the EDS Installer Worked! OK, well having to shut down all of those services is pretty danged invasive. So I tried one other thing, I ran the EDS Installer from the Windows menu by Rt-Clicking and choosing Run as Administrator. That worked! wow maybe someone else will read this thread and save themselves DAYS of pain and anguish.

Program on Excellent Dudes!

1 person likes this

I’m having the same problem, and I’m testing a little more, but I’m pretty sure the success was more about restarting and less about running as an administrator. This is super frustrating. 

Specifically what piece of hardware are you having an EDS file issue with?  There have been situations that require modification to get the EDS file to work.

Many device mfg's use Anybus gateways .  The name  Bihl-Wiedemann was found at the Anybus website after a google search.

I am having the same problem except with Logix5000. I am exporting out of Click programming software. It worked at one point, the export, and the EDS install went fine. When I had to modify the EDS file, I removed it from the database, and when I went to put the new EDS in rsLogix5000, it says it imported it fine, with no errors. But when I attempt to add new module, the newly added EDS file is not in the registry of modules to add. I am not sure what caused this to quit working. I have tried reinstalling all versions of Logix5000, and tried adding the EDS through the Rockwell Software, and running it as Administrator. I've tried doing windows updates, restarting, shutting down, cycling the power on the PLC's. I've tried everything. PLEASE HELP!!!