Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

ControlLogix Controller & Program tags

5 posts in this topic

Can ControlLogix Program tags be moved to Controller tags area while in run mode, via cut & paste or some other means?
Also, is it true that only tags in the controller tags area can be accessed via CiTect HMI and other HMIs?

Thanks.

How I would accomplish this is to rename the existing tags slightly then create a new controller tag named correctly and use the new tag in code once the old program tag is no longer in use you can delete it 

It is possible to address your scada system to look at program tags example is  Program:<Program Name>.Tagname  but you will have to research your scada how to address

1 person likes this

Thanks, jncontrols.
I understand your recommendation and its intent; however, I was hoping for a more efficient solution.
So, if the tags can't be cut from the program tags area and then pasted in the controller tags area while in RUN mode, could the tags be copied from the program tags area, then pasted in the controller tags area, and finally deleted from the program tags area while in RUN mode?
Thanks for your feedback.

You cannot do what you want to do. Allen Bradley does not allow you to change the scope of the tags online. It is not a matter of copy, cut, paste. It is determined when the tag was created. You have 2 options:

1) save program. Change tag scopes. Download.

2) Do as jncontrols says like so many of us have done.

Thanks Armadillo852 and jncontrols.

Sounds like a plan...I will move (cut & paste) the tags to the controller tags area and download the program, while in PROGRAM mode.

All efforts complete without incident.

Thanks for the assist..

Edited by gromit
1 person likes this