JMP0

CP1H-XA "Failed to connect to the PLC" with USB

12 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas to all. Having a problem connecting to an Omron CP1H-XA PLC with CX-P v9.6 with the USB connection. Have been using the same setup for a year with no problems.
It started when I went to change the constant cycle time in PLC settings. Selecting Work Online shows the message "Failed to connect to the PLC because the PLC type does not match". Selecting Auto Online displays "Failed to connect to the PLC". Have checked that the device, network, CPU, etc are set correctly. Started a new project, again checking settings, same story. Port and cable are good. The driver shows in Device Manager. Have a query in to Omron, was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts. Cheers, Kurt

Edited by JMP0

35 minutes ago, JMP0 said:

Port and cable are good.

How do you know that? Meaning the PLC port.

Just now, Sergei Troizky said:

How do you know that? Meaning the PLC port.

I can program a Maple Systems HMI with the same USB setup.

This confirms the PC port is OK, but not the PLC's.

I have seen couple CP units with the USB port damaged by 24V due to wrong wiring. The incident may be instantaneous; the wrong wiring may not be there anymore.

I used a communication adapter board in such case as an alternative port, e.g. CP1W-ETN61. 

Downloaded Temple, a USB device tester, and it reported that the PLC was detected as:
OMRON - OMRON-PLC -
Omron Corp. [0x0590] - 0x005B - Revision 0x0100
Full Speed - USB 1.1 [12Mb/s], Type: 0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0, Power: 0mA, Address: 1, Port: 2
Disconnected the PLC and did not display that info, so it is not just looking at the driver.
http://www.the-sz.com/products/temple/

What did you change the constant cycle time to?

And can you afford wiping off the entire controller content?

Edited by Sergei Troizky

Changed the constant cycle time to 500 ms.

Yes, wiping would not be a problem at all.  Killed power, disconnected the battery overnight, but the settings appear to be in EEPROM.

Are you certain your USB drivers are installed correctly?  Omron PLCs will appear in Device Manager as a modem when properly installed drivers are present.

Also keep in mind that if you plug into a different USB port you will have to set up the driver again, as Windows defines each port as a new connection.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the USB driver. It shows up (and always has) under USB Controllers in Device Manager.

Have always used the same USB port.

On 12/27/2017 at 10:10 AM, JMP0 said:

Changed the constant cycle time to 500 ms.

500ms?! What may be such an application?

I've tried this on a live CP1H, and it indeed falls into communication error. But, after changing the USB Respone Timeout from the default 2s to 20s, I was able to communicate and revert everything back. However, the responses were SLOW. Expect almost a minute delay between every mouse click and its result.

Edited by Sergei Troizky
1 person likes this

Thank you Sergei. Changing the timeout did the trick. Was then able to clear the constant cycle time and reload.