riandanualdy

HMI CONNECT TO NON PLC WITH RS232

8 posts in this topic

HELLO, i want to ask.

Can HMI connect to Non PLC device(example: zebra printer,Barcode Scanner or Weighing scale) using rs232 ?

if can, can you suggest me what type of HMI that can connect to Non PLC device Using rs232 communication?

thank you, have a nice day....

It depends on the protocol used by the device and supported by the HMI. The most common protocol used by non-PLC devices is Modbus. 

I agree with Archie. 
If you want to send ASCII text messages out over your serial port to a weight scale, then you will need to customize your HMI. Barcode is normally ASCII inputs that most HMI's will support. Zebra printers have their own protocol over serial or Ethernet connection. 
Look at the AdvancedHMI for the ability to do this withing the Visual Studio environment.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/advancedhmi/

Their website will also sell industrial PC's loaded with AdvancedHMI.
http://advancedhmi.com/

Regards,
Garry

12 hours ago, arj3090 said:

It depends on the protocol used by the device and supported by the HMI. The most common protocol used by non-PLC devices is Modbus. 

i use rs232 communication to Zebra Printer or Barcode scanner, what HMI can i use for that? thank you

I'm not aware of any HMI that will communicate with a Zebra printer. The last project I did with a Zebra printer, I used AdvancedHMI with a panel PC. That let me install the printer using the driver from Zebra. It did require some code writing, so it took a little time to do.

Hello

it is Something possible. We use to do it because barcode reader is almost same as keyboard. For label printer, if your panel is able to handle 'escape P' mode, it should work.

that's something very traditionnal for industrial panel.

best regards

We have several methods to communicate our PC with the Delta PLC’s, and many users don’t know some of them.
On the other side, every time is more difficult to found RS232 serial ports in the computers, and the USB to RS232 converters are not as much trustable as they must, because of that I would like to list our alternatives to that problem:

Direct communication PC to PLC:

1. PC RS232 port to PLC RS232 port using the wiring DVPACAB2A30

2. PC USB port to PLC RS485 port using the device IFD6500 (Delta USB-RS485 converter).

3. PC Ethernet port to PLC DVPEN01-SL module (need compatibility with high speed bus)

Communication PC to PLC trough Delta HMI (Direct Link):

The direct link capability in Delta HMI is used to communicate with the PLC and HMI with one only wire. Furthermore this capability have been improved lately and now is possible monitor both of them at the same time using only one wire. (direct Link function updated)

1. Direct Link function trough Standard USB wire (WPLSoft and ISPSoft)

2. Direct Link function trough Ethernet (WPLSoft and ISPSoft)
Exactly the same feature is available with the new DOP-B HMI’s with Ethernet embedded, really helpful for remote support.

3. Direct Link function trough USB host (WPLSoft only).

All systems are Win XP / Win 7 compatibles, so now there’s no reason to do not communicate with Delta PLC.

Normally I'd use the PLC to print out things.