Rob Nelson

2d Barcode Scanner communications question

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

I have been tasked with adding a 2d barcode scanner on one of our machines.  It has an Allen Bradley Micrologix PLC and a panelview plus 600 HMI panel.  I have one ethernet ip port available on the plc and I have one USB port available on the HMI panel.  My question is, can you use a USB scanner through the HMI panel to communicate to the plc ladder logic?  Would it be better to try and find an ethernet style scanner?  I have little experience with all of this as well...

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks,

Rob

The PView Plus 600 USB port is for printer connections or for HMI peripherals (keyboard, mouse, USB hub); Appendix B  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um001_-en-p.pdf

Which model PLC processor do you have?

With Ethernet/IP devices, you will want to research models that have a proven track record of interfacing properly (and without a lot of programming).

I've done this via USB to a PV+, but my memory is foggy.  I think I had to make sure the USB port in the PV+ was setup for HID.  Then I created a memory string tag and a string entry object on a screen.  After download, click on the string entry object to call the keyboard entry, then click the trigger on the barcode scanner.  You then might have to copy the string value, via macro, to the PLC string tag.  Should also add that this was on CompactLogix, not MicroLogix, but would assume that this is nearly the same.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this