Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strantor_

How can I simulate CP1L-E & NB HMI?

6 posts in this topic

Sorry for polluting the internet; I already posted this on plctalk. Then I remembered there are more Omron experts over here, including @Jay Anthony who I've worked with before.

Anyway, here goes...

I am trying to write a program in CX-programmer and a UI in NB-designer, and simulate both in communication with each other. My previous Omron HMI experience has been in CX-designer, which interfaces seamlessly into CX-programmer and I can simulate both at once easily. This NB application has me confounded. I tried using the CX-simulator and was able to connect CX-programmer to it, but not NB designer.

Is this even possible?

No, it is not.  The NB software cannot simulate with CX-Programmer.

1 person likes this

Thank you for the answer Michael. Not the answer I was hoping for, but now I know. 

Now I need to decide whether to buy the PLC up front for testing or switch to a NS HMI.

Is there any possibility of simulating the PLC on one laptop, and the NB panel on another? Tricking both into thinking they are talking to a real partner?

Technically it's possible. The NB can be simulated in Direct Online Test mode when the PC/laptop is connected directly to a serial port of that PC/laptop (you cannot do this with Ethernet PLC connection)

The NB will send FINS or HostLink Command (depending on what PLC type we choose) to the serial port. FINS or HostLink Commands definition are available on Omron W432 manual. This means you also need to emulate the FINS or HostLink reply in the PC, by either using a custom made program or other manner possible.

Worth it? I think not :D

16 hours ago, innoaloe said:

Technically it's possible. The NB can be simulated in Direct Online Test mode when the PC/laptop is connected directly to a serial port of that PC/laptop (you cannot do this with Ethernet PLC connection)

The NB will send FINS or HostLink Command (depending on what PLC type we choose) to the serial port. FINS or HostLink Commands definition are available on Omron W432 manual. This means you also need to emulate the FINS or HostLink reply in the PC, by either using a custom made program or other manner possible.

Worth it? I think not :D

nah, I think I'll pass. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to request a PLC to play with on Monday.