Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

Rs logix and windows xp?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone know when might Rockwell software have a patch for Windows XP and RS Logix? Or is it just me and my laptop having trouble with this. RS Logix runs fine on Windows 2000 Pro, but can't get it to run right on XP Professional Edition. Which seems odd to me when 2K and XP run on an NT kernel...what's the difference! I heard a rumor that there might be problems, but haven't been able to verify. Any replies would be great.

There is finally a Rockwell Knowledgebase document on Windows XP compatibility: Document G20766 The principal problems I've found are with RSLogix 500 and the DH-485 serial driver.   RSLogix 500 version 5.00 will not install on Windows XP, because it checks the Windows Version number before installing, and just won't proceed with the installation. DH-485 is a whole other can of worms.  The same obstacles that Windows NT and 2000 put between applications and the serial port apply in spades to Windows XP.   The Windows 2000 driver for the 1747-PIC interface just got released... I don't think there's any schedule for the release of an XP-compatible version.    If you program SLC's, stay away from Windows XP for now.

http://www.software.rockwell.com/navigation/news/windowsxpmatrix.cfm From what I understand is that newer systems use ACPI which creates and issue with power to a 1747-PIC. The technote is A9801: KEYWORDS: Failed to swap, Fatal Error, ACPI, Power Management, PIC, Windows 2000, Win2K ASSOCIATED ARTICLES: A2055, P2142 Explanation: When configuring the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver for Windows 2000, there is a very important issue to be aware of. Windows 2000 uses a new power management scheme called Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI). ACPI is ONLY found on Windows 2000 operating systems and not necessarily on all computers (the computer hardware must meet certain requirements). Depending on the computer, ACPI can cause no problems, or completely prevent the PIC driver from functioning. This also applies with Windows XP, and if your computer does not have a serial port built in then it compounds the problem.

RSLogix r5.20 and higher of both RSLogix 5 and RSLogix 500, and the future r11 of RSLogix 5000 are XP compatible. This page contains a compatiblity table for all RSI products,  RSI Windows XP Compatibility Matrix Regards, Tad Palus Marketing Manager, Logic Editors Rockwell Software

RSLinx 2.31 supports the PIC driver in Windows XP.  you can donwload the lastest RSLinx from www.software.rockwell.com i just worked with a customer today on this.  when you add the driver it'll give a warning saying it's not compatable with XP, but just hit the "CONTINUE" button and all will be happy.