@rturas

G9SP ethernet communication with Siemens

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need to make an ethernet communication Siemens S7-300 <> Omron G9SP. The HW of the Siemens that i us are CPU 315 2DP and CP 343-1 Lean. I did try to follow the Omron manuals Z922 and Z924, but faced with some problems. First of all in Z924 there is no complete HW configuration of Siemens (communication configuration is missing). Also, formats of messages differ in both manuals. Maybe there is an Simatic Step 7 project example, that i could open with Simatic Step 7 manager to do a deeper investigation, or maybe somebody has a lot more experience in this case? Thank you in advance.

WBR

@rturas

11 hours ago, @rturas said:

Hello,

I need to make an ethernet communication Siemens S7-300 <> Omron G9SP. The HW of the Siemens that i us are CPU 315 2DP and CP 343-1 Lean. I did try to follow the Omron manuals Z922 and Z924, but faced with some problems. First of all in Z924 there is no complete HW configuration of Siemens (communication configuration is missing). Also, formats of messages differ in both manuals. Maybe there is an Simatic Step 7 project example, that i could open with Simatic Step 7 manager to do a deeper investigation, or maybe somebody has a lot more experience in this case? Thank you in advance.

WBR

@rturas

But the Z924 manual did state the following on page 3-11. The same as what you are using I believe, so you should be good to go.

Capture.JPG.a14229683e8cb1a400c9ab7205da

Also page 3-13 give the settings used in the example (IP Address setting).

Basically you just need to send/receive data through UDP Client using CP343.
The data format is mentioned in the Z922 manual per se... you need to adjust it to match your application.

I'm no Siemens expert so cannot help you on how to exactly program it in TIA

Hello   innoaloe

In Z924 manuals HW configuration i do miss the part where communication is configured in HW file. But the main problem is that format of the message is different in manual Z922 and Z924.

manual.PNG.f51f96a812aa6f8e518ab07fd35ef

Edited by @rturas

Could you write the complete filename of your Z924 manual? Because I cannot seem to find any data format being shown in Z924 of mine (mine is Z924-E1-02.pdf).

Or can you mention the page number in Z924 that states the data format?

Just now, @rturas said:

Catalog number of the file is Z924-E1-01. The data i got is from the example (page 3-20). Z924-E1-01+G9SP+Host_Connection_Manual.pdf

Okay, seems the example is still the same as my manual (Z924-E1-02, basically the second revision).
I've noticed in 3-20 on the very first program line the additional bytes you're talking about. It inserts 25 80 C0 A8 FA 02, all in Hexadecimals.

The first I noticed is C0 A8 FA 02 is the IP Address of G9SP as set in the example. If you convert all those into decimals you'll get 192.168.250.2.
Also the first two bytes which is 25 80, if converted to decimal will results to 9600, which is the Socket Port Number used by G9SP

Any UDP communication will require you to define the target IP and target Port, so I guess these two bytes is there for the FC5 function block parameter. The actual data being send is still starting from 80 00 02 00 part

1 person likes this

Now i am completely confused. The comm data are configured in communications:

cl1.jpg.5d771ba058f35d8e086f201ee9e2de05cl2.jpg.7c5ebb1821727811dee852a485683b27

So i do not understand the meaning of bytes "Unit number of Communications Unit in Standard PLC = 0" and "Service ID = 55hex"?

Just now, @rturas said:

Now i am completely confused. The comm data are configured in communications:

I never use Siemens so I don't know how exactly the stuff works...
If the target /remote IP and Port can be set by the FC5 properties, I think there's no need to reinsert it as per the example shown, so you just go directly input data from 80 00 part.

But then again there is a checkbox "Address assignment in block" in your screenshot. I think if you checklist that, you need to enter Target/Remote IP Address and Port Number through the Function Block input parameters as the example shown.

Also it seems you are using 192.168.0.11 as your G9SP IP Address. This means you need to change the "FINS Node Address of G9SP" part to 11 (0B hex) as well. The example is for IP Address 192.168.0.2 so it uses Node Address 02.

Just now, @rturas said:

So i do not understand the meaning of bytes "Unit number of Communications Unit in Standard PLC = 0" and "Service ID = 55hex"?

The protocol you are sending to G9SP is FINS Protocol which is unique to Omron devices actually. In case of Omron PLC, the Unit Number part is used to identify which communication unit is sending the data. Since you're using Siemens you don't need to worry about the content, just keep it to 0.

As for ServiceID, it is just like an Echo byte. The content ain't important. If you put 55 hex there, when G9SP reply back, you will get the same 55 hex. If you put 40 hex, you'll get 40 hex reply.

1 person likes this

Just now, innoaloe said:

The protocol you are sending to G9SP is FINS Protocol which is unique to Omron devices actually. In case of Omron PLC, the Unit Number part is used to identify which communication unit is sending the data. Since you're using Siemens you don't need to worry about the content, just keep it to 0.

As for ServiceID, it is just like an Echo byte. The content ain't important. If you put 55 hex there, when G9SP reply back, you will get the same 55 hex. If you put 40 hex, you'll get 40 hex reply.

Thank you so much! I will try that tommorow or in a couple of days.

So, i couldn't make a communication by copy/paste Z924 to simatic project, but i wrote my own function and it works as charm. Thank you for the help innoaloe

Just now, @rturas said:

So, i couldn't make a communication by copy/paste Z924 to simatic project, but i wrote my own function and it works as charm. Thank you for the help innoaloe

Happy to hear it worked fine :D

Edited by innoaloe

The latest news from Omron support: i was told, that there is a mistake in Z924 manual, that is why i could not get communication with their example.

48 minutes ago, @rturas said:

The latest news from Omron support: i was told, that there is a mistake in Z924 manual, that is why i could not get communication with their example.

I see... well, that's to be expected though. There are miss-information here and there in some manuals. The Z924 was pretty old and only got 2 revisions, which I don't believe including revising the Siemens part.

Nowadays G9SP is pretty much left behind in development since the new NX-Safety Controller is introduced