Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay Anthony

HC-SRO4 an arduino Sensor

3 posts in this topic

From PM this morning:

I'm working on FATEK PLC and I've to interface a Ultrasonic level sensor namely HC-SRO4 an arduinor Sensor for level measurement with PLC. This sensor gives a PWM output 0-5V. I need to read these PWM values on FATEK PLC although there is no Function Key for reading this kind of Output.How we can take the values of this sensor on  PLC by using any mode.

No PLC can use this kind of sensor directly.

This type of sensor requires controller to initiate measurement and capture echo with very precise timing - something PLCs simply cant do (need I/O that respond within micro seconds). You can use microcontroller and convert signals to something PLC can read or - choose an industrial sensor with output that is compatible with PLCs (this is simple to interface  but it will cost hundreds of $).

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Sensors/Proximity/HCSR04.pdf

if you are on a budget, just throw in Arduino as a converter... you can transmit signal to PLC in different forms (analog, serial, parallel).

Btw. ultrasound sensors have some peculiarities, cannot use more than one at a same time (syncing required), sensing field is conical (pretty wide) so target need to be reasonably large and reflect sound, sloped surfaces work as mirrors and deflect beam in another direction, one does not see what exactly sensor is looking at etc. Where possible (99.9% of times) lasers work better. Some low cost industrial distance sensor is for example O1D100 (should be 2-3 times cheaper than ultrasonic).

I will pas this on to the original poster...