velmurugan

Control logix with ethernet to serial converter

9 posts in this topic

1.Can anyone say how can i communicate control logix plc with ethernet to serial converter. here i am not having any eds file.

Allen-Bradley EDS files are free downloads.  Which specific ControlLogix processor do you have? 

What PC operating system version are you using (32-bit or 64-bit)?  What version of RSLinx are you using?  What Ethernet-to-Serial converter are you using?  These are the (4) pieces of the pie.

Understand that when you connect the Ethernet-to-Serial converter into your Windows XP PC, that the operating system will create a virtual serial port.  Open Control Panel, Device Manager, and take note of the virtual serial port that is created (the OS will use an unused IRQ port, virtual port number).  This virtual port number is needed when you add a RS-232 DF1 device in RSLinx.  

Hi thanks for your reply,

Here i am using L73 controller, os window 7 64 bit, serial to ethernet converter make Perle. Logix designer v24. 

You have a CompactLogix 5570 L73 processor, which has (1) Ethernet/IP port and (1) mini-USB port.  You have a Windows 7 64-bit PC running Logix V24.

Which model Perle Ethernet-to-Serial converter model are you using?

If you have a Win7 PC, what is the purpose of the Ethernet-to-Serial converter?  PLC has Ethernet; Win 7 PC has Ethernet.

Can you post screenshots of the problem situation?

Hello thanks for the reply.

I am using 1756 l73 control logix controller. Through entr module i am using serial to ethernet ip converter i am going to communicate modbus slave that is em6400 multi function meter need to read  values from that slave. Perle converter model IOLAN DS1.

The Perle IOLAN DS1 appears to be a general-purpose Ethernet/Serial converter that is meant to work with PC applications that use a virtual serial port.

It does not appear to have any onboard support for the EtherNet/IP protocol used by the ControlLogix, but it might be able to function as a Modbus/TCP to Modbus RTU gateway.

It is possible to use the Modbus TCP sample code library from Rockwell Automation to implement such a connection, but in general it is not a job for a novice.

I would recommend instead to use a device that natively supports EtherNet/IP and Modbus RTU, like the Digi One IAP or a gateway device from Real Time Automation.

Edited by Ken Roach
1 person likes this

Hello ken thanks for you reply . 

I will try with Modbus TCP sample code library. If you are having any link kindly reply it.

Please understand that I am recommending AGAINST you trying the Modbus/TCP sample library.

It is installed automatically with the Sample Programs with Studio 5000, so you can browse to the samples section of the splash/open screen, or look in the default application directory in the Samples section.

There are some additional details about the sample code in the RA Knowledgebase:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/470365/page/2

Hello ken, thanks for your reply.

Yeah i know. But I am in a bad situation need to work it out anyway with this converter. I will search sample program or in RA Knowledgebase