marckTony

Add pause botton Allen bradly SLC5/03

8 posts in this topic

hello guys, I've got a project and i am not too familiar with the allen bradley PLCs. So I hope you guys can help me with some ideas. we have a palitazer in our class we have to modify the PLC's program and add an extra fisical bottons, pause botton(red botton) and continue botton(green botton) 

some times the operator needs to get inside to the enclosure WHILE THE MACHINE IS IN AUTO MODE and that is why we need the stop botton, so the operator can push it and "pause" the machine in any moment. all the outputs and inputs should stay in their current state until the operator press the start/continue bottom, after this the machine should be able to continue the routine. 

here is some info about the palletizer 

http://bidonequipment.info/pdf%20files/FMC%20CORPORATION%20EZY-150%20Palletizer.pdf

I dont know if this is possible or not I've been studyng the ladder, but I could find the solution. 

I atached the PLC program in this file, thanks you very much

we got the PLC Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 

How can I use Temporary End (TND) can this help?

if somebody want to see the PLC program (ladder) just let me know

Well first if it's a safety issue then the machine should be shut off.  I understand that this is a class but generally I do not like software (that can be changed by anyone with access) dictating the safety of my operator.  

That said, here is my 2 cents.  First you really are not worried about keeping your inputs in a certain state but I can see where your outputs might be important.  You will have a sequence for the palletizer. All your pause button will do is stop that sequence from moving to the next step.  In a little more detail, your palletizer will have several sequenced steps that will each operate outputs.  After some expected action, it will move on to the next sequence step.  Your pause logic will just keep it from moving on to the next step.  You don't need a temporary end statement.  

"operator needs to get inside the enclosure while the machine is in auto mode".  If there is a potential for the operator to be injured, this approach is not acceptable.  The modern accepted solution is to control harmful energy when an operator enters a work area, such as a physical barrier/guard with a safety interlock switch that disables harmful energy when the interlock switch is opened.  Previously, this was done by running mainline contactors with their coil tied in with the interlock switch (open the gate, mainline contactor drops out and harmful energy is dissipated).  Today, the mainline contactor can be replaced with motor drives/servo controllers that support STO (safe torque off).

https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2016/12/01/Protecting-Workers-from-Automated-Machine-Operations.aspx

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/safety-rm001_-en-p.pdf?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=EMEA_NL_ALL_AT_5_Jun16&utm_campaign=Corporate_EMEA_XX_XX_2016_Automation_Today&utm_content=EMEA_NL_Austria_AT_Jun16&s=1284661142&lid=30561&elqTrackId=3c28637972ce4337a8f3d616c96aa311&elq=5b39ebeab0d24a2e82d2482953ac3d66&elqaid=21537&elqat=1

Possibly, for the sake of the class, the instructor and instruction institution are accepting responsibility for unintended injury and just want you to add the buttons. 

For my one and half cents,  if your instructor insisted that was your task and couldn't explain it any better or cite any recognizable safety standard...

Pretty sure I would have gotten out of my chair and headed for the door.

Proper Lockout/Tagout Procedures and the removal of all energy sources from the robotic cell are required and paramount for personnel to be able to safely enter.  Energy sources can or are any of the following:  Electrical, Pneumatic and Hydraulic power sources and/or reservoirs.  Now, there are certain conditions where personnel can enter a cell, but generally the robot is then forced into a "reduced" speed condition with the use of "Deadman" switches or three position switches.  Now in vogue is the use of two "Deadman" switch setups where one is for the man inside and a second for a man outside the cell that work in series before any "reduced" speed motion can occur. 

I know what you mean with the safety issues. but this machine is not running in production  never, i mean it only a experimental machine, but i am think in adding a extra physical electrical circuit. we are now testing our ability to  modify the program thanbks

So we do this all the time. I believe what he really wants is to not necessarily have the machine in auto mode, but more not put the machine in manual mode. 

On 9/8/2017 at 0:54 PM, marckTony said:

hello guys, I've got a project and i am not too familiar with the allen bradley PLCs. So I hope you guys can help me with some ideas. we have a palitazer in our class we have to modify the PLC's program and add an extra fisical bottons, pause botton(red botton) and continue botton(green botton) 

some times the operator needs to get inside to the enclosure WHILE THE MACHINE IS IN AUTO MODE and that is why we need the stop botton, so the operator can push it and "pause" the machine in any moment. all the outputs and inputs should stay in their current state until the operator press the start/continue bottom, after this the machine should be able to continue the routine. 

here is some info about the palletizer 

http://bidonequipment.info/pdf%20files/FMC%20CORPORATION%20EZY-150%20Palletizer.pdf

I dont know if this is possible or not I've been studyng the ladder, but I could find the solution. 

I atached the PLC program in this file, thanks you very much

we got the PLC Allen Bradley SLC 5/03 

How can I use Temporary End (TND) can this help?

if somebody want to see the PLC program (ladder) just let me know

Can you please send me the PLC file. I am pretty sure I can help you out.

As far as the outputs staying on or turning off, we do this all the time in the palletizing world. Think about a tool holding 200 pounds of product in it's tool. Would you really want the output shutting off if you went into the cell? 

On 10/9/2017 at 9:28 AM, Armadillo852 said:

So we do this all the time. I believe what he really wants is to not necessarily have the machine in auto mode, but more not put the machine in manual mode. 

Can you please send me the PLC file. I am pretty sure I can help you out.

As far as the outputs staying on or turning off, we do this all the time in the palletizing world. Think about a tool holding 200 pounds of product in it's tool. Would you really want the output shutting off if you went into the cell? 

Yes you can download the file from here 

thanks a lot 

I was thinking about a Tnd temporary end to stop scanning or decreasing the speed of the motor's VFDs

what I want is that when the machine is in auto modo I can use I puch botton to stop the machine for a while, then push the same or other botton to continue the routine. 

Rigth now the maccine has just one emergency stop, but when you push it we have to manually send the machine homenpossition to start again in auto mode.