Face Book

VPN for programming remotely with Bckhoff PLC and Beckhoff HMI/IPC

23 posts in this topic

Hello,

Please explain How to set TeamViewer  VPN for programming remotely with Bckhoff PLC and Beckhoff HMI/IPC?

The engineering tools installed only on the local PC and the Remote is a Gateway to the PLC.

I installed the following software on the local PC:TwinCAT V2.1 and TeamViewer V11

On the remote PC:TeamViewer V11 installed and this PC  connected to Beckhoff PLC and HMI/IPC

We want to use the local PC to access the remote PC through internet and diagnose the problem of Beckhoff PLC or HMI/IPC

What are the possible ways to perform this action?

Best regards....

Hello,

No one can help me.

What are the procedures to perform this communication?

remote Access.jpg

I have only used it so, that the engineering tools are on the remote PC and i connect with team viewer and use the engineering tools remotely. I do not know, if it's possible to have your setup with team viewer.

1 person likes this

Hello,

I think it is possible in Beckhoff PLC as possible in AB PLC and Siemens PLC

But I do not know exactly the  procedures to make the communication.

Waiting the other comments.

Edited by Face Book

I don't believe it's possible... TeamViewer is a Desktop Remoting app as far as I know, that means you can only access what's inside the Remote PC, but not using programs from your Local PC to access the Remote PCs network, USB ports, and so on.

You don't need TwinCAT installed on your Local PC, instead it has to be installed on the RemotePC. Then you remote it via TeamViewer and run the TwinCAT there.

1 person likes this

Well, if that does work it's a new info to me. Personally I'm not an active Beckhoff user, but Ethernet TCP/IP on whatever device is the same, so you just need to replicate the required stuff in Beckhoff settings (like gateway and Registry settings). I might try this later on, but using Omron PLC.

The issue would be finding out the Remote PC IP Address of the connected PC, since the newer TeamViewer version uses ID and Password instead of direct IP Address. However you can still find the IP from Team Viewer Log file (quick google search will show you the method to find it)

1 person likes this

Hello,

I have sent many support requests to Beckhoff stuff about this issue

But they not reply.

So I want a confirmation  from any Beckhoff user about this method.

Edited by Face Book

On 07/09/2017 at 1:14 AM, Face Book said:

Hello,

What are the procedures to perform this communication?

remote Access.jpg

Team Viewer is a remote access program which will show you the remote screen and allow you to access the remote PC.  It's not a tunnel to connect your PC to the remote network.  So in this case, the programming software has to be on the PC which is connected to the PLC, not on your PC.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, Crossbow said:

Team Viewer is a remote access program which will show you the remote screen and allow you to access the remote PC.  It's not a tunnel to connect your PC to the remote network.  So in this case, the programming software has to be on the PC which is connected to the PLC, not on your PC.

Hello,

Please find the attached file.

This an example for Siemens PLC.

Is this method applicable for Beckhoff PLC/HMI?

How to setup Teamviewer VPN(2).pdf

Edited by Face Book
1 person likes this

I find zero mention of a Team Viewer VPN product on their website.

Hello,

You intend that method not applicable for Beckhoff PLC/HMI........

Are you sure...?

Edited by Face Book

I just found out from this article HERE that TeamViewer did have a VPN utility inside (already checked with my TeamViewer program also).

Follow that article to set it up

1 person likes this

Hello,

Already,I set TeamViewer VPN before.

Again

The questions:

1-Is this  method  applicable for Beckhoff PLC/HMI........?

as it applicable for Allen Bradley and Siemens PLC/HMI

2-Can Beckhoff Support confirm this method...?

In Egypt,Beckhoff support not reply for this question.

3-What are the procedures to perform this communication?

Edited by Face Book

We are not Beckhoff Support.  We are a group of other automation users who volunteer our time to help people with PLC questions.  If you want an official response from them, I would wait for them to reply to your messages.

Nobody here is an expert in all products, and maybe there are not as many members familiar with Beckhoff as other vendors.  it may take longer to get a response.

1 person likes this

Face Book,

I was also interested if this works and had 2 Beckhoff PLCs (Panel PC CP6606 and  CP2611) to try this method. It works like a charm - I just followed the steps from the PDF you attached. Only difference is the last step - in TwinCAT System Manager when you go to "Add Route Dialog" you have to enter IP address of the PLC in the "Enter Host Name / IP:" field and click on the button (not "Broadcast Search" as if you are searching for the PLCs in the LAN). And yeah, I didn't have 2 network adapters on the remote PC as it is stated in the PDF, remote PC and PLC are both connected to an ordinary ethernet switch.

Everything else - done as it is stated in the PDF (enabling IP routing in the registry, installing Teamviewer VPN driver on both machines and adding static IP route on programming PC). If you have some other questions - feel free to ask :)

Untitled 2.png

Untitled.png

My VPN.png

Edited by karlek
2 people like this

Hello,

Thank you very much for your support.

1- Can you explain  only the last step you did  for remote access to Beckhoff PLC/HMI as attached file with photos?

2-Iam not understand this point:

" in TwinCAT System Manager when you go to "Add Route Dialog" you have to enter IP address of the PLC in the "Enter Host Name / IP:" field and click on the button (not "Broadcast Search" as if you are searching for the PLCs in the LAN). And yeah, I didn't have 2 network adapters on the remote PC as it is stated in the PDF, remote PC and PLC are both connected to an ordinary ethernet switch. "

3-Why do you not select:Broadcast Search ?

4-Explain this point:

"  I didn't have 2 network adapters on the remote PC"

You intend :2 Adapters on Remote PC or on Local PC which contains the engineering software tools?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Face Book

4 hours ago, Face Book said:

3-Why do you not select:Broadcast Search ?

4-Explain this point:

"  I didn't have 2 network adapters on the remote PC"

You intend :2 Adapters on Remote PC or on Local PC which contains the engineering software tools?

Thank you in advance.

Face Book, I had to manually enter the IP address - broadcast search didn't work for me. Why? I didn't dig that deep into it - you'll have to answer Beckhoff staff specifically about that. I forgot one last thing, after the PLC is found by the IP address you entered manually, before clicking "Add Route" you have to select "IP Address" instead of "Host Name" (see the attached picture).

As for the other question, the Siemens PDF states: "There will be two Ethernet network cards in the remote PC. The remote PC is connected to the machine or process LAN, via the first Ethernet card, with a fixed IP address. The remote PC is connected to the internet, via the second network card, typically connected to the company office-LAN."

Like I said, this isn't necessary - my remote PC has one Ethernet network card connected to the switch which is connected to a 3G/4G router so my remote PC has internet connection through this router.

Untitled.png

Edited by karlek
2 people like this

Hi everyone,

I would like to thank you guys.

I have also established the same connection for beckhoff.

the document and posts helped me a lot.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:38 PM, karlek said:

Face Book,

I was also interested if this works and had 2 Beckhoff PLCs (Panel PC CP6606 and  CP2611) to try this method. It works like a charm - I just followed the steps from the PDF you attached. Only difference is the last step - in TwinCAT System Manager when you go to "Add Route Dialog" you have to enter IP address of the PLC in the "Enter Host Name / IP:" field and click on the button (not "Broadcast Search" as if you are searching for the PLCs in the LAN). And yeah, I didn't have 2 network adapters on the remote PC as it is stated in the PDF, remote PC and PLC are both connected to an ordinary ethernet switch.

Everything else - done as it is stated in the PDF (enabling IP routing in the registry, installing Teamviewer VPN driver on both machines and adding static IP route on programming PC). If you have some other questions - feel free to ask :)

Untitled 2.png

Untitled.png

My VPN.png

This is a really Good Example. Actually in Beckhoff PLC, we can just installing Teamviewer VPN on Beckhoff IPC (PLC) directly
And then make a connection without using a remote PC. After that we can just broadcast search on TwinCAT 3 Add Route Dialog, and there you have a connection
I have tested it out, and works like a charm!
xS4NnArHW7NKe1M297g85D0129u3UlmUAVQi0f6Y

dCYiF4nG2vyPD-YKt-XaxY2RVZBr27t--hdY4xMB

Edited by YoBAID