Mark Bromley

panelview 550 replacement

13 posts in this topic

I have around 25 panel view 550s that are currently still in use, I can no longer find a derect replacement and the membranes keep going up in price. Most of them are using the DH485 protocol and connected to 5/03 processors.I talked to my AB distributor he recommended a panelview 6 or 7 with a prosoft adapter. The quote was over 8,000$. I have been bying some of the automation derect c-more stuff for new applications but its been all done via ethernet. any suggestions?

Is the serial port on the 5/03 available to use?

The PanelView Standard Series, to which the PV550 was a member, went Silver Series (i.e., marked to become obsolete) starting in 2011/2012.  Rockwell/A-B typically phases out a product line over a number of years (Phase 1 - Make the plans known, Phase 2 - Internal components stopped production but can still buy new assemblies, Phase 3 - No new assemblies but will repair and support, Phase 4 - No repair but will support, Phase 5 - You had many years to be on your own).

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/global/solutions-services/capabilities/migration-solutions/product-search/results.page

A-B suggests migrating PV550-Keypad to PV Plus 600-Keypad & migrating PV550-Touch to PV Plus 600-Touch.

Under similar circumstances, we exhausted buying up all surplus new-old-stock or used PV Standard models (Plan A).  Then get cracking on engineering up a migration path, either to the PV Plus 600 or a comparable manufacturer (Plan B).  Overall, there are a many HMI models that have the communication ports you desire.

Do you have a concise audit of the models in-use and your spare parts in-house?  Page 11 has a breakdown of the PV550 alphabet soup part numbers and their communication options.  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/2711-td007_-en-p.pdf

Hi Mark.

Have a look at the PanelView 6 600, it is a direct size replacement for the PanelView 550 so you do not need to modify the cutout size but it will require you to use a third party adapter to get DH485. If you can modify the cutout size to accept a PanelView Plus 6 700 then you can use the 2711P-RN6 communication adapter with it to get DH485 communication (among others). I recently use one with a PanelView Plus 6 1250 to replace a PanelView 1000.

Disclaimer: The documentation says that the 2711P-RN6 adapter will fit on the PanelView Plus 6 700 - 1500 but I have only used the 2711P-RN6 with the PanelView Plus 6 1250. I recommend that you confirm with your local Rockwell agents that the 2711P-RN6 will fit on the PanelView Plus 6 700.

Cheers

Guy

I was only going to suggest to have your distributor quote you a PVP 6 Compact. It does not support DH485 but you could use the serial connection. For that matter, you could use any third party HMI.

If that frees up the DH485 port on the SLC then you could use it for programming via a 1747-UIC.

Thanks for the replys, what am I up against converting the panel builder program to factory talk? ( Im sorry i dont no the actual file extension names) ( MER.- API. ?) I read a some rockwell info and it didn't seem that bad like the program will convert and give you a list of things to clean up? Most of these machines and the ones that are most critical have no analog cards. I have a good lisense seat for factory talk and have subcribed to rockwell support. Thanks

Have  you read the PanelView Standard Migrating Plan?  http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap001_-en-p.pdf

Successful conversion of your old Standard application to FactoryTalk View Studio will be a function of how much detail is in the Standard application. 

Do you have a new PView Plus 600 and a converted application to test?  Suggestion is made to get a new HMI unit and do a simple conversion and test.  https://www.rockwellautomation.com/resources/downloads/rockwellautomation/pdf/events/raotm/sessions/tech/T101MigratingyourHMIsystem.pdf

Hi Mark.

The conversion complexity is based on how complex the original panelbuilder code is. The main things I found when converting the panelview 1000 to a panelview plus 6 1250 was that the macros were not brought across, scaling the screens to a larger screen size worked on most pages but not all, text alignment went haywire, and I had to edit the colour status for all the indicators. all easy stuff, it just took a little bit of time. The panelview 550 application conversion to a panelview plus 6 600 was 99% perfect but there were only 10 pages and it was very basic information.  As kaiser_will suggested: you need to read the migration documentation (there is more than one document) as they will give you all the details you need from what can be converted, what cannot be converted, what to do about the error log at the end of the conversion, what screen you should choose, what addon modules you need etc.

Again as kaiser_will suggested, try converting the program. See what errors pop up and what you need to do to rectify them and if you do not have a panelview plus 6/7 series to download the converted code to then just use the built in simulator to get a rough idea.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Wild
spelling
1 person likes this

How complex is the Panelview 550 program, as in how many screen and about how many tags? Are all 25 of them the same program?

I have  attached a copy of the panel builder program, There are 10 of the 550 units that would be pretty much the same and they are the ones that are most critical. The attached program is from one of these 10. I think i am leaning towards recommending that we spend the money on the allen-bradley replacements  (pv6-600). It sounds like it would take allot less resourses than connverting over to another brand of screen.

Thanks

345 - MC_345F - Node 2.PVA

Hi Mark.

Do you already have the FactoryTalk View Studio ME software?

I have attached the coverted program for you using FactoryTalk View Studio ME V7.0, it converted without any errors. I had a very quick browse through it and it looks okay. I have not looked at the tag details or the more in depth stuff as I need to head out to a client.

Edit: scaling it to a PanelView Plus 6 600 resolution appears to have worked pretty well (PVP6_600.apa file). You will need to recreate the communication paths. If you are going to use a touch only version of the PanelViewPlus 6 series then I would advise that you edit the selection buttons on each page to delete the reference to F1-F4 as it tends to confuse the operators.

Cheers

Guy

MarkBromley.apa

MarkBromley_PVP6_600.apa

Edited by Wild
additional information