Hugo Tavares

Send text messages via Omron PLC

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm trying to use the CJ2W-CPU32, westermo MRD 315 to send messages in case of problems to the operators.

Where should I configure the text messages, configure the phone number, etc? I need to configure a complete system.

Thanks for the support,

Regards,
Hugo Tavares

If I am understanding what this device is (3G Wireless router), it may not be able to even send text messages.  If it can, then you would need to be able to send a generic ASCII command out the Ethernet port.  To do this with Omron, you would need to use something called Socket Services.  Unfortunately, the built in EtherNet/IP port on the CJ2M does not support Socket Services.  You would need to add a CJ1W-ETN21 module to do socket services.  This would also be a completely custom message that you would build.  There is no setting that you can make to do this:  " Where should I configure the text messages, configure the phone number, etc? "

Hi Michael,

I can use the  CJ1W-ETN21 wtih my CJ2W-CPU32?

The CJ1W-ETN21 will be able to comunicate with MRD 315?

Thanks for the support,

Regards,

Hugo Tavares

I can use the  CJ1W-ETN21 wtih my CJ2W-CPU32?

Yes you can. Both will be a separate Ethernet network.

The CJ1W-ETN21 will be able to comunicate with MRD 315?

MRD 315 is GSM equipped, so I guess it should be able to send Text Messages / SMS to other cell phone. The only thing that bugs me is that usually this is done via AT Command interface. Looking at the MRD 315 manual, I cannot seem to find a way to send AT Command via Ethernet LAN. However it has a RS-232 Port which can easily accept AT Command.

I would suggest you just buy a CP1W-CIF31 which is a RS-232 Serial Option Board that you can mount at the front the CJ2M-CPU32, if there is no other option board installed at the moment. Alternatively you can use a CJ1W-SCU21-V1 which is a RS-232 Serial Slot unit that you can mount on the side of the PLC.

Why I'm suggesting to use RS-232 instead is that Socket Service with CJ-Series PLC is kind of a pain in the *** to do correctly for first time users... With RS-232 you don't need to worry about IP Address and other connection related stuff. Just send the AT Command.

Good Call, innoaloe:dance:

On 29/07/2017 at 9:58 AM, innoaloe said:

With RS-232 you don't need to worry about IP Address and other connection related stuff. Just send the AT Command.

I have a  CJ1W-SCU41-V1 in this case.

innoaloecan you help me about this AT commands. I need to use a Cx-Protocol between MRD-315 and PLC, correct?

Thanks for the support.

Regards,

Edited by Hugo Tavares
Wrong Word

SCU41 is a dual RS485 communication, eventhough for some weird reason the port is in form of DB-9. So you cannot use it for this purpose.
Unless maybe you add another RS485 to RS232 converter.

AT Command standard can be found all over internet. I will prefer not to use CX-Protocol / Protocol Macro and just set the SCU to No Protocol mode, sending the data with TXDU instruction for pre-testing. The data to be set is directly set in PLC memory.

15 hours ago, innoaloe said:

SCU41 is a dual RS485 communication, eventhough for some weird reason the port is in form of DB-9. So you cannot use it for this purpose.
Unless maybe you add another RS485 to RS232 converter.

Ths SCU 41, has a RS-232C port and RS-422A/485 port. So it's a directlly connection, no need of converters...

15 hours ago, innoaloe said:

AT Command standard can be found all over internet. I will prefer not to use CX-Protocol / Protocol Macro and just set the SCU to No Protocol mode, sending the data with TXDU instruction for pre-testing. The data to be set is directly set in PLC memory.

The SCU41-V1, allow to use this TXDU instructions?

Thanks for the support innoaloe,

Edited by Hugo Tavares
Wrong word

Just now, Hugo Tavares said:

Ths SCU 41, have a RS-232C port and RS-422A/485 port. So it's a directlly connection, no need of converters...

The SCU41-V1, allow to use this TXDU instructions?

Thanks for the support innoaloe,

Ouch... In my head I was thinking of SCU31-V1... yes, SCU41 had RS232 serial port. Port1 if I'm not wrong.

All SCU unit supports TXDU instructions, including SCU41. Careful that Omron DB9 wiring is different from usual Serial DB9 standard (need to make proper cable).

TXDU will be accessible if you set Port1 function to No Protocol mode

22 hours ago, innoaloe said:

All SCU unit supports TXDU instructions, including SCU41. Careful that Omron DB9 wiring is different from usual Serial DB9 standard (need to make proper cable).

Ok, thanks. I wiil check the corrected wire.

Thanks for the support innoaloe

22 hours ago, innoaloe said:

TXDU will be accessible if you set Port1 function to No Protocol mode

The instruction TXDU has limit of information to be sent?

Is is possible to send messages with 35 caracters? I need to allocate the information I want to send in specific area?

Thanks for the support,

55 minutes ago, Hugo Tavares said:

The instruction TXDU has limit of information to be sent?

Is is possible to send messages with 35 caracters? I need to allocate the information I want to send in specific area?

Thanks for the support,

A RS-232 Serial is always has a max of 256 Characters to be sent in a single instance.

This does apply to TXDU instruction also, so 35 Characters is applicable.