b.k.n.

Track NS series IP addresses

8 posts in this topic

I am using the NS series touch screens and NS-Runtime. Do they have a System word that stores the IP address of that touch screen or PC running the NS-Runtime application. I want to be able to trigger different functions in my project depending on the IP address.

Nope.

You can always make a variable in the PLC and have the HMI put a value in it.

Just now, Crossbow said:

You can always make a variable in the PLC and have the HMI put a value in it.

Yea but how do you go about getting the IP address of the touch screen to put in that variable??

As I said, you can't, you would need to set a variable of your choice.

I'm afraid we are missing each other. What I wanted to no is how can I get the IP address of the Touch Screen and move it into a variable. The reason I want this is so I can change the Touch Screen's program behavior automatically depending on it's IP. This will keep me from having a different program for every one of the Touch Screens on the site...

I think Crossbow understands you correctly. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to transfer the IP address to a variable. To see what information is available, take a look at PT > System Settings > Initial (tab) > System Memory List. You can also look at the Macro Reference Manual. There are some well experienced Omron guys here. If there is some clever method of doing this, I'm sure they'll respond.

If you want to use the same program for all touch screens then create a settings screen where you can use a Numeral Input/Display object to input a variable (as Crossbow has mentioned). (Maybe the last octet of the address). All the programs can be the same but the downside is, you'll have to change this variable when you change the IP address.

Edited by IO_Rack

On 7/17/2017 at 3:51 PM, b.k.n. said:

I'm afraid we are missing each other. What I wanted to no is how can I get the IP address of the Touch Screen and move it into a variable. The reason I want this is so I can change the Touch Screen's program behavior automatically depending on it's IP. This will keep me from having a different program for every one of the Touch Screens on the site...

Why don't you have a password protected area that you used to enter a value in a retained NS variable ($HW)?  You can then use that number to make it respond differently.  

Okay thanks for your input I might have to do the thing of entering a value into a ($HW). Its just I was hoping that it could be auto populated off of the last octet of the IP. Thanks any way.