bgtorque

Micro800 Ethernet comms to Control Techniques (Nidac) Drive

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. My experience is using Studio5000 / RSLogix5000 to program CompactLogix PLC's. I need to use a basic (cheap) PLC to get data from a Control Techniques Drive (about 9 DINT's for Speed, Torque, etc) and then display on a PanelView Plus 600. Its a bit extravagant to use even a basic CompactLogix for this, so I believe the most basic AB solution I can go for is the Micro820.

In Studio5000, to add in CT Drive comms, I simply just add a Generic Ethernet Module and setup the IP address of the CT Drive and the Connection Parameters and that is pretty much it. I look in the Controller Tags and there is my DINT array that I can interrogate for the information. Very simple.

Anybody any clue how to replicate this in Connected Components Workbench for the Micro820? I cant seem to fathom it out at all?

Just to clarify, I am not doing any control of the Drive from the HMI or Micro820, merely displaying on the HMI parameters like speed, Torque, etc.

Thanks.

I think I would use a Red Lion DSPGT <--- might not be the correct model. They have a bare bones DSP that doesn't have some of the stuff that the "deluxe" model has. The Red Lion "talks" a lot of different protocols with ease

Thanks, but it specifically is an AB solution i'm looking for.

That's a good pick up on the 850's, thanks.  I just need to figure out how to implement it in the 850 now.  Any thoughts?

Hi again,

I've not had hands-on experience with these PLCs but looks like you cannot add implicit communications as per the "Generic device" in the I/O tree in the Compact/ControLogix PLCs.

From the manuals, these processors will only support Explicit messaging, which is similar to "MSG" instructions in the Logix series of PLCs. This manual gives you a guide for starting with CIP messaging

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/2080-qs002_-en-e.pdf

it's a bit more complicated than the Generic device in the I/O tree because you will have to know about the instances, attributes and service codes of the slave you're communicating with - hopefully the vendor provides this info. Additionally, you will have to use a timer to periodically trigger the execution of the " MSG_CIPGENERIC" instruction/s - it wouldn't surprise me if there were also some constraints about how many messages you can have configured and trigger at the same time...

Following on from Joe E's suggestion to visit manufacturer site, you could also try going to AB's sample code library and doing a bit of a hunt to see if you can get some sample code.

http://search.rockwellautomation.com/search?q=inmeta:XLANGUAGE~*&client=samplecode&filter=0&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=samplecode&site=sample_code&getfields=*&lang=en&hl=en

eg, there is one there called Micro850 Scattered Parameter Read Example to PowerFlex 525 Drive   ... I know this is not your drive, but you should be able to get a feel for how the program needs to look like...

Good luck!

vds

Edited by vds