Paolo_911

Remote I/O over Enet/IP in Q?

10 posts in this topic

Hello wizards,

I am looking to learn more about networking PLCs and specifically configuring remote I/O. Does Mitsubishi or anyone offer training on remote I/O ? 

I was hoping to configure and control remote I/O from a Q over Ethernet I/P. From a basic Allen Bradley background this seemed rather intuitive. Although, it seems as though this is more complicated in Mitsubishi and requires a gateway perphaps? 

Any advice, links, programming examples and reference on remote I/O programming and especially hardware over Ethernet I/P would be much appreciated. Thanks guys! 

Train your BRAIN!!!

Here is a link to all the Mitsubishi training your heart can take. FO FREEE.

If you want paid classes with a teacher contact your local Mitsubishi Rep or supplier they can hook you up. I like the free online ones myself.  

1 person likes this

You can use CC-Link IE for remote I/O over Ethernet. It is actually pretty easy to set up in GX Works2. Once you configure your network, there is a tool you can use that shows you the mapping of all your remote stations to reference while programming.

You will need a CC-Link master station to sit on the rack with the Q processor, then just add your remote stations how you like and run the Ethernet between them.

1 person likes this

What type of rack would the remote I/O sit on (without a processor)? It just needs an Ethernet module on it's rack? I'm just wondering if there is a different rack for remote I/O than one would use for a PLC rack.

Note that Ethernet/IP is an Allen-Bradley protocol. You can use gateways to connect Ethernet/IP devices to a Mitsubishi PLC, but it will not be as high-speed as a direct connection to an AB PLC.

If you just want an Ethernet based protocol, then I second CC-Link IE. In the implementations I have done, I used the L-Series, which has an available head module that acts as a CC-Link slave device. Add a power supply and up to 10 I/O modules, and you have a whole "rack" of I/O in a fairly small amount of space. I used an L-series main PLC with a CC-Link IE master module, but the same thing could be done with a Q-PLC as the master.

In addition to the L-series head module, there are CC-Link IE standalone I/O modules, if you have a low remote I/O count or need it spread over a large area.

Be aware that CC-Link IE must be a separate network from regular TCP/IP traffic.

So maybe you are used to Allen Bradley?

I remember the remote I/O on the old PLC 5 stuff I started on took a whole rack with a Remote I/O card in place of the CPU.

Is this what you are used to?

With I/E Field you can have remote racks that have CPUs or you can get Remote "I/O units". If you all ready know this this is going to sound stupid lol.

Any how, you can get all kinds of devices that just have the terminals you need and a network jack for lack of a better term. See LINK

There are a few networks you'll see at that link IE-Field and IE-Control being the latest they are gigabit networks that use I think Cat5e cable. You can tunnel IP through them but I have not yet. 

Being used to the PLC 5 remote I/O I was all "whhhaaauuu its tiny" my first time seeing a CC-Link I/O module. 

Here is another link for you that has a lot of the info another cc link link 

If this is your first Mitsubishi experience I think you'll like it. I was all AB all the time, now I kinda despise it.  

Remote IO.jpg

Sorry for the delayed response to this thread. I very much appreciate all the feedback. I attended CC-link training through MEAU and enjoyed it. I am more comfortable and familiar with using CC-link for remote I/O now. Since working with Mitsubishi I am definitely preferring it to Allen Bradley. Eventually, I may begin to dive into Ethernet, when I find the time. For now, I will explore with CC-link so thanks for all the help.

Question though, is there a monitor bit that you can see in the PLC to ensure that the CC-link network is still running and working? In our training we only monitored I/O, and I forgot to ask that question. To clarify, I am looking to monitor the status of the network to shut down the process if the network fails for whatever reason.  

1 person likes this

Manual

Here is a link to a manual for the QJ61BT11N. See Appendix 3 SB and SW, this will have all the special relays and special registers that contain that info.

If memory serves me right I use SW80 (+ your head address) it is the data link status of each station as in SW80.0 is status station ,1 SW80.1 is station 2 and so on. 

Much thanks!  And WOW you have a fantastic memory, bang on! 

Edited by Paolo_911

4 hours ago, Paolo_911 said:

Much thanks!  And WOW you have a fantastic memory, bang on! 

I wish, I just set up a drive on CC-Link so it was fresh, I used SW480.0 but don't ask me that next week!

PS I checked myself in the manual I linked before posting just didn't remove the "If memory part of the post" :)