CementMatt

Mitsubishi iQ-R Series

3 posts in this topic

Hi

Has anyone got any real life experience with the new Mitsubishi iQ-R series?  I have been assigned a major capital project to replace our old ageing DCS system.  Our current PLC backbone is about 40x Q2ASHCPU, 10x Q06UDEHCPU and about 2xA2SCPU all linked up via Melsecnet/10 network with communication links into the DCS system via Modbus RTU utilising the QJ71MB91 modbus card.

Due to the nature of my companies process and the limitations on plant downtime it is estimated this project could take up to 5 years to complete, with this in mind I am wanting to install a system that will not be obsolete (or unsupported) in a few years, hence, I am very interested in the new iQ-R series with it being Mitsubishi's latest and greatest.  However, recent communications with my local Mitsi rep is not filling me with confidence that the iQ-R series is not as well supported/developed as the Q series.  A major requirement during the development stages of this project is the new ability of the new processors to be able to talk to the old DCS up until a point where the DCS nodes will be completed removed and replaced with a modern SCADA package.  Hence, the requirement of a Modbus Slave card for the iQ-R (i.e. a QJ71MB91 equivalent) which I am told is in development, but has no fixed timescales.  Previous experience with Mitsubishi developments of cards is normally years not months.

Any information anyone can provide on their experience of the iQ-R series would be greatly appreciated and if anyone knows if a Modbus Slave card is in development that would be useful.  I realise i could utilise the Q series extension rack with a iQ-R processor but this is not the route i want to go down.

Thanks for any help and apologises for the war and peace.

Cheers Matt

Hello Matt,

Like you said it is Mitsubishi's latest newest system with a lot of new security. Because it is new not all the modules are there yet.

But Why would this be a problem since the PLC's are linked via Melsecnet 10 so you can use one of them as a gateway for the data from the iQ-R system(s).
Alternatively you can use something like this from HMS: (CC-Link IE Field = Modbus). . https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index
This way you can also opgrade the complete network to IF Field and use standard ethernet equipment and cables

I expect the priority from Mitsubishi will not be for an old protocol like modbus. (modbus Master is possible with the standard Ethenet port).
They are more focussing on new technology. For instance the OPC UA module for the iQ-R. RD81OPC96 which might be a solutions in this case maybe

I agree with Gambit, there's a lot of options/gateways that you can use while you are reorganizing your plant. On the Mitsubishi side, you can interact with the different series via standard cards. For the rest, use gateways (preferably from CC-LinkIE Field). Here are some more precise links:
https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index/anybus-xgateway/detail/anybus-x-gateway-cc-link-ie-field-slave---modbus-rtu-slave
https://www.anybus.com/products/gateway-index/anybus-communicator/detail/anybus-communicator---cc-link-ie-field

I have had great success using the Anybus gateways in the past, and the latest usage was a CC-LinkIE Field <-> ProfibusDP gateway. Works like a charm! A possible additional upgrade using gateway(s) is that you can remove the serial lines for the new systems, and place the gateways together with the DCS systems. Then you can run CC-LinkIE Field over CAT6 all the way from your plant, and to your DCS where all your serial lines are connected to the gateways.

Regarding the R-series, I have only implemented two full systems for now (one minor standalone system, and one with about 1500 I/O). One of them contains one R-rack with about 12 CC-LinkIE nodes, and I must say that it works like a charm. My current impression of the R-series is very good, and I'm really looking forward to work more with them. I've implemented this R-rack with the standard CC-LinkIE Field Head Modules, L-series CC-LinkIE Field Intelligent Station and Frequency inverters, all via CC-LinkIE Field.

You should also go through your complete system, and consider if you really need all the PLC's as "full" PLC's, or if some of them can be replaced with remote nodes. As mentioned, the Remote/Intelligent Stations (L-series Intelligent Station) enables you to use all the available L-series modules. The only drawback for me is that the L-series Remote Station with it's cards has to be configured in GX Works2, while the R-series of course is GX Works3. It's a bit annoying to use two different software packages...

All in all, based on your small description above, I would not doubt for a second: Use the R-series, and if you must then implement some gateways for now (which can be replaced in the future if you want to). You should plan your system carefully, and implement CC-LinkIE Field (and/or Control) depending on your needs. Replace serial lines with Ethernet where possible, and replace full PLC's with remote/intelligent nodes where possible.