Akilestar

Write index of contact as Integer to word

3 posts in this topic

I am needing to write an integer to a word based on a contact. It's pretty straight forward but I need to do this for 300 contacts. If F0 turns on I want to write a 0 to W22, if F57 turns on I want to write 57 to W22, etc. I need to do this for F0 through F299 writing the index as integer to W22. I don't need to clear W22, it can have any number in it at any time. My OPC server will be looking at a different bit to determine when it needs to look at W22. I'm trying to find an easier way to do this then having 300 instructions doing a MOVP K* W22 when the contact turns on. If more than one F is on I'm okay with whatever the last F to turn on is stored in W22 (at least for now.) Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Is this going to be programmed in ladder? If so this may help.

Off the top of my head I can cut you down to about 18 lines of code keeping it simple. 9 or so if you don't mind it being a little complicated. Someone else may have a better idea needing even less code. 

Are you familiar with the principle used to group bits into words. Like K2X0 means 2 nibbles of X0 or X0+8 so X0-X7. You can do this in any size up to I think 32 bit words. So if you used K8F0 it would be 8x4 so F0+32  F0-F31 or a double word consisting of the bits at F0-F31.

It is hard to say with out all the details but I would maybe go this route. You would want to repeat something like this until all your faults are covered. 

[<> K4F0 k0]--------[MOVP K4F0 W22] 

[<> K4F16 k0]--------[MOVP K4F16 W22] 

[<> K4F32 k0]--------[MOVP K4F32 W22] 

[<> K4F48 k0]--------[MOVP K4F48 W22] 

And so on till you reach F299. 

If you don't mind it being a little more complicated then use K8F0 but then you will need to break it back down to 16 bit at W22 if it has to be 16 bit.

I would do a FOR-NEXT loop instead. That way, you don't repeat code (I always try to never repeat code since an error in line 1 would also mean an error in line 2,3,4,5......). Second, it's a bit more flexible; if you suddenly have 400 devices instead of 300 devices than simply just increase the FOR count. In addition, it's fewer lines (and steps) of code ;-)

I've attached a small sample from Structured Ladder, but you can easily transfer it to Simple Ladder if you prefer.

FOR-NEXT.png

2 people like this