jrupp82

RsLogix 5000 Motion with third party

6 posts in this topic

A question I've been curious about lately is if the Motion Commands within Logix 5000 could be used to control third party motors and drives?  Or are these commands exclusive to the control of AB motor/drive setups?  I've never used either of the setups I'm asking about, but as I learn more about the Logix platform, I'm curious what all I can do.

Thanks!

Most manufacturers have drives that will take a +/- 10VDC control signal that is compatible with the 1756-MO2AE module.

For Sercos or Ethernet control interface, I think you're stuck with AB.

Logix integrated motion is only native to Rockwell products.    They haven't licensed the technology and protocols for CIP motion over Ethernet to third parties (that I know about).

It's theoretically possible to run third party drives over SERCOS with Rockwell, but it's a very, very involved process.   

As noted, some A-B drives can run third party motors if the physical and electrical characteristics of the motors are well understood and a "motor database" is created.   That's how the linear motors from Anorad worked when RA first bought them, and I've worked with a tiny handful of specialty motors in this way.

Drives and motors that don't integrate with the Motion instruction set are easier to integrate with ControlLogix, because they behave like an ordinary I/O module.    An example that I use frequently are JVL integrated servo motors.    They just look like an I/O block and I fill in the target position, velocity, and acceleration and turn on the GO bit.

Edited by Ken Roach

There are 3rd party drives that can be commanded over Ethernet/IP, but not with the Logix instruction set. They typically have their own set of Add-On Instructions (AOI) that are usually pretty similar. I have used Koll-Morgen and LinMot, and I think Mitsubishi has them now. I'm sure there are others.

CAUTION! These products do not use the high-speed motion layer of Ethernet/IP that Logix uses with their motion instruction, so it is not appropriate for synchronized motion or very high-speed applications unless there is a way to do it on the drive level. The application I did with Koll-Morgen was a fairly high-speed packaging system, and for the most part worked well, but we had to use a couple of tricks with digital I/O for one of the axes to get the repeatability we needed.

Those are the answers I was looking for.  I've used AOI's with Kollmorgen servos before, but I was curious about another way.  

So I'm guessing I know the answer to this, but in order to achieve coordinated motion control between multiple axis with the AB PLC being the Motion controller, my only real option is to use AB servos & drives as well.  Is that correct?

I was focused on the motion networks and didn't think of this previously, but  there are generic pulse and direction and analog motion cards for the ControlLogix that use the integrated motion controller and instructions. These would work with a variety of 3rd party products, though you wouldn't have access to much feedback data from the servo drive.

1756-M02AE

1756-M02AS

1756-M08SEG