Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akif KC

SLC 500

5 posts in this topic

Good Morning Guys,

How are you all today?
I have this question about SLC 500, which I barely studied from the School, and don't have any practical real world knowledge... I am worried is it almost same as the RSLogix? I hope it is same but it is Address based programming.

Also, I have this CD we purchased, can I install it in Windows 7 or do I need to run a Virtual Windows XP for that? Please guide me. Thanks all. :)

SLC-500 and most MicroLogix PLCs utilize RSLogix500 and are I/O-based PLC programming packages.  "Tags" are a function of PLC memory addresses (i.e., I for input, O for output, T for timer, etc.).

CompactLogix and ControlLogix utlize Studio5000 and are tag-based PLC programming packages.  "Tags" can be created and linked to hard inputs or outputs.

Logix500 and Studio5000 are similar, but not the same.

PC operating system that will allow your version of Logix500, since we are talking SLC-500 PLC, to run will depend on the version of Logix500 you have.  http://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductCompareSelections.aspx?crumb=113&versions=56006,54949,54330,50431,50025,50223,50222,50221,50057,50220,50295,50219,50218,50214,50217,50216,50232,50215,53314,52159

Drilling into Operating Systems, RSLogix500 will run on Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit OS for versions 9 on up (NOT so for Windows 7 Ultimate SP1)

Even with the CD you purchased, most Rockwell software can only be licensed once.  If this license is already checked out to another PC, you will need an additional license.

Oh, I have version 7.10 RSLogix 50 with me. But it is installed in the Windows XP in Virtualstation in my Windows 7 laptop. I am just thinking to make it install in 7 itself so I don't want to switch the OS.

If your Windows 7 laptop has the horsepower (enough RAM, HD space, etc.) I would strongly recommend leaving the software in the virtual machine.

1 person likes this

Oh, okay. I guess my machine is not bad. I will follow as you guys suggested then. Thanks all for the valuable reply. :)